Badly recorded albums needing upgrading

My new music system is in place, fairly well burnt in, and speaker placement and other tweaks are coming along. In the process I’ve been learning how much variation there is in the quality of both CD and vinyl recordings. This range in quality was not apparent on my old equipment.

For example, as I go through my old records, I’ve noticed a couple of favorites that are terribly recorded. A well known sub-par recording, Eric Clapton’s (Derek and the Dominoes) "Layla and Other Love Songs" is virtually not listenable. The Stones "Let It Bleed" I’ve had to replace with a Japaneses SACD as Jagger’s vocals sounded like he recorded them with a garbage can over his head. That SACD does sound considerably better, although the vocals on "Gimme Shelter still sound muffled. After some research on site and elsewhere, I just ordered another Japanese SACD of Layla out of the myriad available, which the reviewers said made Layla at least listenable.

Here’ the obvious problem. Both replacements were expensive as CD’a and records go, and I only want to spend that kind or resources on absolute favorite records. I am filling in the rock and roll and R&B portion of my record and CD collection of artists ranging from the Beatles up through the Sex Pistols. Are there any other well known albums like "Let It Bleed" or "Layla" I should avoid, or might already have, that will need to be purchased or bought again in upgraded formats. I’m not asking about obscure groups, but instead more well known artists like the Dead, Hendrix, Aretha Franklin, anything Motown, Janis Joplin, Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Bowie, Roxy Music, The Clash, Talking Heads, etc.

I’ve also been purchasing a lot of vintage jazz, from Ellington through the Weather Report and would like to avoid bad recordings there too. In the jazz realm I’ve been acquiring economical Redbook CD sets like Bill Evans’ 12 Classic Albums, and most recently Wayne Shorter’s entire Blue Note recordings made with RVG (Rudy Van Gelder ) remasters. What I’ve learned so far I to do when purchasing these sets it to avoid those that are made of re-recorded MP3 files. Those sets don’t advertise they are MP3 file based, so I dig around reviews by purchasers who after after getting bilked, expose these recordings labels on Amazon,com Music . If you’ve any of these classic jazz sets or albums or reissue labels I should be avoiding, please let me know.

For example, I’m currently looking to purchase economical multiple album sets of Billie Holiday’s Commodore, Verve, and Decca recordings and would like to know which sets to avoid or conversely which sets are well done.. I like among others Miles Davis, Coltrane, Lester Young, Mingus, Charlie Parker, John McLaughlin, Art Blakely, Chet Baker, Ella Fitgerald, Gerry Mulligan and the like. Again, not obscure recordings or artists. I’d really like to not get burned on substandard recordings too. Si Iif you could forewarn of any particular recordings, or any reissue labels to avoid, please do. Next year I might start to get more Classical Music recordings, but that’s another ball of wax for another day

Maybe this question is too broad or poorly defined but I’d appreciate any help you could provide to avoid disappointment or throw any more cash in the garbage. Thanks, and I’d be pleased to answer any questions to clarify this rambling post.

Mike
skyscraper
I’m an original, period press buyer.Some of those titles listed, I hear the opposite. This of course is my subjective opinion.

Eric Clapton:Layla-yes, that recording even on record isn’t the greatest, but as long as you have a quiet press, the music makes up for sonics.
Stones:LIB- my domestic London stereo press sound fantastic. Punchy and dynamic. I’d like to find the Brit mono press. Tough find.
Ella- I have several mono presses that I take to shows to hear the latest uber setups. Very nice. "Let No Man Write My Epitaph" "Clap Hand Here Comes Charlie" are two examples.
Art Blackey: Moanin - I have the period mono and an 80’s stereo reissue. Both great. The 1959 mono sounds more convincing.

The original press "stamper" copy is a debatable subject, like digital vs analog. I stay away from reissues.

Have you heard a period 1955 mono press of Julie London’s "Julie is her name? You don’t even need a mono car setup to hear the amazing sonics of that recording. The track "Laura" is hypnotic in a decent setup.
I like reading threads like this- particular albums are mentioned, which I haven't played in awhile.

I pulled out the Sex Pistols-NMTB(1978 period press) while eating breakfast, before hopping on my bicycle for a spin.

That album sounds great. Plenty of  guitar, bass and drums. Not in an "audiophile" way-but perfect for the type of music it is. It wouldn't be the same if it were "perfect"

It 's ROCK AND ROLL, for heavens  sake!!
Tomcy6, thanks for the heads up on the Steve Hoffman Forums being a good source for discussions of different album releases. When doing a search on "Layla" that was one of a numberof sites that popped up. Next time around I’ll follow your advice and go there directly and search on their site. Thanks.

Slaw, I’ll look for your notes on that thread. Thanks for the invite.

Geoffkait, that Dynamic Range Database looks like a good source of information. I’ll have to go back and figure out how he’s coded that information for each album. It wasn’t obvious at first glance but didn’t look complicated.. He’s probably got that information on another page on his site somewhere. Thanks for the referral. I’ll be sure to check it out more thoroughly.

Ozzy, onhwy61, and noromance, I must have given you the wrong impression. I’ve maybe 1,500 recordings, most of which are fine so far. I have come across the two unacceptably poor recordings mentioned above, and a Joni Mitchell German CD remastering that was mediocre.

There are many more thousands of CD’s and records I would like to get in various genres. If I was a millionaire I’d spring for all audiophile releases, but that’s not the case. I have no intention of buying any audiophile recordings, except when absolutely necessary to make an indispensable album listenable. Audiophile recordings are for the most part quite expensive and inhibit purchasing in the quantities and prices preferred. I won’t even buy new vinyl as it’s exorbitantly priced.

What I would like to do is avoid getting any more unacceptably poor recordings, and to upgrade any other indispensable recordings yet to be uncovered in my current collection. And only those that are "must haves" as bad as the original "Layla" and "Let It Bleed" pressings in my possession. I need to find better ways to winnow out poor recordings before making purchases and finding out the hard way. So, if you have any suggestions along those lines or could mention albums I should avoid that would be appreciated.

CD318, thanks for the suggestion on the Sex Pistols. I’ll give the old "Never Mind the Bollocks" a spin today to check it out. And I’ll listen to my old Kinks and Hollies vinyl record albums too since you mentioned them. My sister kept our old Hemasn Hermits album when I left for college in 1970. Since you asked, I think I like remasters that are true to the originals, but more revealing and with less background noise or tape hiss when possible.

Jond, I’m familiar with the RVG remasters and we both like them. I’ll look up the K2 and MPS reissues. I’m unfamiliar with them, and will try some out. Thank you much for that recommendation. Would you mind naming one or two of those K2’s and MPS’ reissues you like to try out. Thanks.

Tablejockey, it could be my original London pressing of "Let It Bleed " was simply worn out. I bought it when it came out, and played it every day on my folks suitcase style "stereo" then, and lots after that over the years as my favorite record.

I got Layla too when it came out, but hadn’t played that nearly as much for it to be similarly worn out. I put it on the other night after watching Ron Wood interview Patti Boyd (Harrison), on TV. It sounded so bad I honestly I was scared I’d broken the stylus on the Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. Now that is bad. The band and the producer Tom Dowd, must have all been loaded when that all-time classic was recorded.

Thank you for the Ella Fitzgerald recommends and the Art Blakey Moanin’ one too. I just got a five CD Blue Note reissue set of his a few weeks back, but still do’t have the classic Moanin" album. I’ll look for a mono copy as you recommend.. I’ll check out the Julie London. you mention on Youtube if possible. I’ve heard of her but am unfamiliar with her work. Thanks for your recommendations.

If anyone else has any advice on which recordings to avoid or those that are preferable in the categories mentioned above I’m all ears. Thank you for all your replies.

Mike
Mike, Do searches for stuff like "best sounding" "worst sounding" in addition to specific titles over on the Hoffman site.

It’s sometimes funny how fanatical some people over there are about the sound quality of various releases. I mean, they can list every flaw on a given release. I know that’s not what you’re interested in, but it can be entertaining and educational.