Whatta Ya Think About Hsu Research Subwoofers?

I’m in the market to add one or possibly two subwoofers to my stereo set-up.  I would like to spend $1,000 or less per unit, and that puts some of the higher-rated units out of reach.  I came across an ad for Hsu, which I had not heard of before.  I didn’t want a Chinese product and it turns out that Hsu Research is based in California and founded by Dr. Hsu, who has a Ph.D from MIT.  Audio reviewer Steve Gutenberg gave one Hsu product a positive review.  I was wondering if any of you have experience with Hsu and could share your impressions/recommendations with me.

My existing set—up is:  Parasound P5 pre-amp with Parasound A21 amp;  Martin Logan 60XT tower loudspeakers.  Thanks!
bob540
I own and use 3 HSU subs in my listening room. I purchased all 3 on the used market about 3 years ago. The work flawlessly,and sound great. Other than when we go away on vacation,they stay powered on 24/7. Not so much as a hiccup.
Hello rocray,

Yes, 3-4 subs properly positioned and configured in a room qualifies as what's called a distributed bass array (DBA) system that's been scientifically proven to be one of the most effective sub-based bass solutions that can also be utilized in any room and with any pair of main speakers, even those very fast and detailed speakers considered very difficult to integrate subs with such as planar-magnetic and electrostatic type speakers.
     In my experience, a3-4 sub DBA system will perform and sound about twice as good as utilizing a pair of subs. Adding 1-2 subs to a pair of subs and positioning them in a distributed bass array configuration results in a further improvement in bass performance in terms of speed, smoothness, detail, power, impact and dynamics.  It will also extend this near state of the art bass performance  throughout the entire room, not just at a single listening position as is the case with using a pair of subs. 
     I utilize a 4-sub DBA complete kit system, an Audio Kinesis Debra system, with results I find very accurately described in this Absolute Sound review of the Audio Kinesis Swarm 4-sub DBA complete kit system (which is identical in price and performance to the AK Debra system but the relatively small subs are more rectangular than the Swarm's squarer shaped subs.):

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audiokinesis-swarm-subwoofer-system/

My advise is that multiple subs will provide significantly better bass response than a single sub is capable of providing, no matter its size, quality or price.  If your goal is to optimize the bass performance in your system, or prefer near state of the art bass performance throughout your entire room rather than just at your designated listening position, then I recommend using either an AK complete kit 4-sub DBA system or a custom 3-4 sub DBA  system utilizing your choice of subs.
     If you want to learn more about the effectiveness of the DBA concept, 3-4 sub distributed bass arrays and in-room bass response in general, you can google " distributed bass array concept" or "distributed bass array system".

Best wishes,
     Tim
I also have a pair of ULS-15's in my main system.  I think these sealed subs offer very high quality bottom octave coverage for music.  Some might think that with Tekton DI's you wouldn't need subs--but not me!  I am not about an excess of bass.  Rather, I demand tight, musical bass that plumbs the depths that my main speakers just don't do--especially pulled well out into the room.  I've said before that they complement the DI's beautifully--super high value, nicely finished, tremendous performance.  Buy a pair and be happy.
A HSU is a fine sub until you try a better one.  There are many many subs out there that are far far better for music.  
I’ve owned a ULS15 and a pair of VTF subs and have found several sub woofers since then which completely blow them away.  The funny thing is, when I owned the ULS for instance, I thought it was an amazing sub too. 

Cue the offended HSU owners...