Whatta Ya Think About Hsu Research Subwoofers?

I’m in the market to add one or possibly two subwoofers to my stereo set-up.  I would like to spend $1,000 or less per unit, and that puts some of the higher-rated units out of reach.  I came across an ad for Hsu, which I had not heard of before.  I didn’t want a Chinese product and it turns out that Hsu Research is based in California and founded by Dr. Hsu, who has a Ph.D from MIT.  Audio reviewer Steve Gutenberg gave one Hsu product a positive review.  I was wondering if any of you have experience with Hsu and could share your impressions/recommendations with me.

My existing set—up is:  Parasound P5 pre-amp with Parasound A21 amp;  Martin Logan 60XT tower loudspeakers.  Thanks!
bob540
HSU subs are the bomb! If I am in the market for a sub, I am buying HSU again. Especially for the money, I don’t think any sub can touch it. 
I owned a pair of Hsu ULS-15s for many years.
Excellent presentation across the entire band and extremely reliable. I left them powered up 24/7 and never had to touch them. 
I owned a pair of SVS 12" SB12S prior the HSU, and the Hsu's offered a lot more output. Granted, its not a fair fight, but the 15s are not of the one note variety. Excellent in a 2.2 music system. 

I'm a sealed sub guy so can only speak to the ULS-15, but their ported units are well regarded among the HT users. Definitely worth looking into. 
Hello bob540,

I've never owned a HSU sub but wouldn't hesitate to purchase them based on their very good reviews, reasonable pricing and generous return terms. 
     However, I would advise buying a pair rather than just a single sub.  Based on my experience, a pair of subs will perform and sound about twice as good as a single sub.  Bass is cumulative and having 2 will provide a more accurate, realistic and natural presentation of the bass impact and dynamics recorded on the source content with neither sub operating anywhere near its limit.  
     Having 2 subs running in mono mode, properly positioned in your room and in relation to your listening seat, will also provide the normal multiple subs in a room benefits of the bass being smoother, faster, more detailed and better integrated with the main speakers than a single sub is capable of.  The soundstage normally sounds wider, deeper  as well as more realistic, open and natural.
     Besides choosing a pair of HSU subs that match your physical size and budget requirements, you need to make sure the subs have separate controls on each for volume, cutoff frequency and continuously variable phase, I believe most if not all HSU sub models have these. If your budget is tight, I recommend that utilizing 2 smaller and less expensive subs will perform better than a single larger and more expensive sub in virtually any room and system by a wide margin.
      Useful skills to learn are how to optimally position and configure 2 subs in a room.  I suggest googling the 'crawl method' for positioning and setting the volume and cutoff frequency controls on each sub as low as possible with the bass still sounding good to you (powerful, dynamic, detailed and natural).  Remember, the goal is not to constantly hear and feel the contributions of the bass from the subs but for them only to  supplement the deep bass when the content calls for it.

Best wishes,
     Tim
I own and use 3 HSU subs in my listening room. I purchased all 3 on the used market about 3 years ago. The work flawlessly,and sound great. Other than when we go away on vacation,they stay powered on 24/7. Not so much as a hiccup.