Amplifiers weight

What does amplifiers weight has to do with performance?
im trying to decide between this 3 amps
parasound JC5 73 pounds, Anthem STR 60 pounds Michi S5 by Rotel 132 pounds 
I can get them around the same price 
my speakers is modified klipsch KLF 30
preamp is Michi P5 and a pair of SVS SB16 ultra Sony Hap Z1 and Cambridge Azur 851N
i really like the looks of STR amp 
128x128lordrootman
What does amplifiers weight has to do with performance?
  • Larger transformers weigh more
  • Larger capacitors (and/or more of them) weigh more
  • Thicker chassis material weighs more
Otherwise, not too much.  A thick face plate and heavy footers weigh more but those may or may not have an effect on performance.  However, there are many other factors that may affect performance but not weight, including the circuit design.
This just in! Exciting news! Amplifier science (like climate science only credible) proves amplifiers fall at the same rate regardless of weight! But- and here's the catch!- only in a vacuum! Which raises the question, how likely are you to be dropping your amplifier in a vacuum? Not bloody likely! Therefore, logically, buy the lightest amplifier you can find. It will be more likely to work when you drop it.
Very little.

I have 5 lb. Class D amps that sound a lot better to me than many 60 lb plus amps.  I did end up with a heavy integrated, but this goes to show you that weight alone is not the issue.

Unfortunately, weight and physical size are equated with value, so of course, mega amp makers add as much heavy metal as they can.

In a linear amp, you DO want the beefiest transformer you can get, but you can’t really separate that from the weight of the chassis, nor can you evaluate that in light of the rest of the circuitry.

Get the cheapest lightest amp you like the sound of. :)
Get the cheapest lightest amp you like the sound of. :)

You mean the sound it makes when it hits the ground?