Mixing 4ohm and 8ohm

I'm upgrading my home theater front speakers, which will be used for 2 channel music as well, after 30 years. My current center and rears are 8ohm but the new fronts I'm looking at are Legacy Classic HD's or Signature SE's which are both 4ohm. (Love the Signature SE's by the way) My current AVR is a older Marantz 7010 which is switchable from 8 or 6 or 4 ohm. So, should I leave my Marantz at 8ohm or switch it to 4ohm? And, is it going damage it, or any AVR, running 2 different ohm speakers in the same system? And even if I were to buy a new AVR, which I will do once my Marantz dies, is mixing ohm's not recommend with an AVR? I have asked several sales associates but none of them seem to know for sure. I do know they suggest buying new 4ohm center and rears, buying different 8ohm fronts, or buying separates to power everything. I need the Audiogon guru's guidance with this issue. Your help and guidance is greatly appreciated. 
Kevin
khowlett
Set it to 4, but you'll get less output.

Consider a modern Anthem MRX 720 as a worthy upgrade which won't have those issues.

I would avoid going with too many channels in any AVR. More channels usually means they are going to be more power limited. Better to get something with 5 to 7 channels of power and outputs for external amps.

Best,

E
Thanks for the info. I could go with new 4ohm center and rears but will my current receiver at 4ohms sound like crap? And any suggestions on a pair of 8ohm speakers for around that 6000.00 price range?
the new fronts I’m looking at are Legacy Classic HD’s or Signature SE’s which are both 4ohm. (Love the Signature SE’s by the way)
any suggestions on a pair of 8ohm speakers for around that 6000.00 price range?
OR you can use a stereo power amp or two mono blocks, connect it to the AVR front pre-out to drive the Legacy speakers, let the AVR drive the existing 8 ohm center and surround speakers.
Interesting! So if I went that route I would assume all 2 channel (turntable and CD)would be powered by the stereo amp but would be controlled through my AVR? 
I was working with an upper end Yamaha that was paired with 4 ohm speakers.  The Yamaha doesn't have a "4 ohm" setting, but it does have both 8 ohm and 6 ohm settings.  The speakers just did not sound good on the 8 ohm setting and sounded much better under the 6 ohm setting.  Most of these low impedance speaker problems have to do with the amplifier power supply and amp circuit.  Some of these just don't have enough brute force in the power supply to be able to push enough current for low impedance speakers.  I suspect these receivers are switching a 2 or 4 ohm resistor into the output load of the speaker binding posts, therefore increasing the load a bit higher so that the amp power supply / board has an easier time driving the speaker load.  Like Erik said, the result is a little less power output because you are now splitting power between a 2/4 ohm resister and the actual speaker, but the sound quality should improve.

Imhififan's suggestion of an outboard amplifier would solve your problems.  You could even look into a beefy 3 channel amp if you wanted, to drive your entire front stage.  In HT/movies, the center channel is almost the most important speaker.