Is Parasound on to something? Or, How important is crossover management in preamps?

How important is crossover management in mid-fi receiver?

I auditioned Parasound separates yesterday — P6 and A23+ and the dealer emphasized how useful it would be to be able to control the crossover *both* for the subwoofer (I have a Rel 328) and the bookshelves (TBD, but I'm looking at Dynaudios and Salk WOW1's). Not many preamps have this, and I'm wondering how important it is. I'm also quite interested in PS Audio's separates (Stellar Gaincell + S300) but they do not have these, nor do they have tone controls.

So how valuable is Parasound's controls? What is the significance (positive or negative) control over the crossover — especially of the *main* speakers themselves? The positive, I read, is that it (a) allows mains to do a more precise job by relieving them of the burden of the bottom end, and (b) it increase the efficacy of the power amp in driving the mains. Is there a negative? Is there something "improper" about limiting the demands on mains, especially given their designed frequency range?

As you can see, the answer to this question helps determine whether Parasound has a major value-adding feature in these crossover controls.

Obviously, at the end of the day, auditioning pre's and poweramps (or integrateds) is crucial, as is match to speakers, etc. But if this feature is very important for fitting sub and mains together — and fitting speakers to room environments — then it will help me weigh the Parasound or any other preamp with this feature.

P.S. To those who keep seeing my newbie questions, I hope they're not irksome. I'm posting so often because I'm researching purchases for a whole system, of some cost, and so I'm really digging into these questions about all aspects. And I'm having a blast.
128x128hilde45
Having a high pass filter is useful when incorporating a subwoofer as it keeps the lower frequencies out of the small bookshelf speakers. It's actually useful even if you don't  have a subwoofer as sometimes small speakers can get boomy or distorted in the woofer if driven a little loud. I would take the Parasound combo or a Parasound  hint 6 which is an integrated that's  these two put together over the PS Audio. The PS audio amplifier is good but that gain cell dac measures lousy. 
Thanks. I’ve written to PS Audio to ask if they have a technical reason not to have this on their unit. I’ve read about the measurement issues, but so many people think it sounds great I’ll probably try it out.
You are conflating a couple of things.

Adding a high pass filter to your mains does reduce the load on the amp, and does make them easier to integrate with a sub, but the Parasound lets you do that without an external crossover. This is to me a big convenience and simplifying feature.

The alternative is you route everything through an external crossover, often in the subwoofer.

Another advantage here is you can use a DSP based EQ on the sub alone, without having your mid/treble frequencies routed through it, they stay pretty much pristine.