Cassette: A Documentary Mixtape

If you get a chance watch this:  Cassette: A Documentary Mix-tape

Brought back a lot of memories.  I grew up in the cassette era and made hundreds of mix-tapes and recorded lots of full albums.  I still have several quality cassette decks and lots of blank and recorded tapes.  Don't listen as much to them anymore, but from time to time will load one into a machine.

It was never about the quality for me, it was about the hands on, custom nature of what I wanted to make.  It was uniquely mine.

It is streaming on Amazon Prime for free and is also on cable TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EbJ4ZX4RIw
128x128mofimadness
^^^ Cool. :-)

Just a heads up for you cassetters ... check out the thrift stores for tapes. They sell for around twenty-five cents. You can pick up the really high-end Maxell and TDK tapes and just erase them with the bulk tape erasers and you're good to go. It is also fun to hear what the previous owners taped onto them. Believe it or not, there are people out there in the world who listen to some really terrible music, recorded off of some really terrible equipment.*lol*

Frank
I also still use cassettes.  I probably have +/- 300 or so.  My first deck was an Aiwa FD-660, purchased in 1983, on which I made many recordings.  I also have a Nakamichi DR-10, purchased in the late 1990's.  My prize recordings include a couple of years worth of the *Milestones* program - a weekly Saturday evening 3 hour program of jazz hosted by Miles Willis on KPFT FM for many years.  After all the intervening years, those cassettes still sound amazingly good.
I always had a lot of fun making mix tapes. Of course, there were those frustrating times when the song you chose for the last one on a side would be just a few seconds too long and the tape would run out.

More often though, there would be a little chunk of tape left and I hated to leave it blank. There were a few short songs like Elvis Costello's Welcome to the Working Week I would sometimes fall back on, but what I liked to do more was create my own funny stuff to run out the side.

One little gem that worked out great was the time I alternated Slim Whitman's caterwauling from the beginning of the song Indian Love Call with cartoon ghost noises from a kid's record. Hilarious!

There was a Frank Zappa recording that had the sound of a stylus skipping and grinding across a record that I loved to use when making a tape for a friend. I would begin with a few seconds of some goofy song that I knew they would hate, then the stylus would skate across the record and end up right at the beginning of a real rocker.

I miss those days.