Seriously considering tube preamp…opinions?

Tube virgin, here. I am building a system and I'm trying to contain the preamp/amp cost to $3k or so. (I could go up a little.) 

I'm inclined not to dive into tubes all the way through, but get a solid state on the output end. (Open to suggestions; inclined toward PS Audio, Parasound.) I'm reading around about tube preamps and have talked with my local dealer, who sells Black Ice/Jolida and Prima Luna (PL). He used to carry Rogue but said they kept coming back for repairs. That's why he carries PL.

I'm asking these questions after having established (via reviews, comments) that Schiit gear is quite the value. Lately, I've been reading about Decware and other small tube makers. I'm very curious about buying direct, if possible, and a company that stands behind their products is crucial.

So, your opinions about tube integrated or *especially* tube preamps —

1. Who do you like? Consider I want to do pre/amp for a total of $3k if possible.

2. Do you think PL is worth all that money just for a preamp? I get the feeling they're high quality but a bit over-hyped. (No disrespect to the highly passionate Kevin Deal, but he's all over my search results.) And what would you think about $2k/$1k preamp-to-amp spending ratio?

3. Any sense of what happened to Jolida since the name change to "Black Ice"? I see there's a sordid story there but did the re-branding clear up the mess? Any experiences with the Black Ice company?

4. I know there are many Schiit fans out there; so my question would be -- did anyone consider Schiit for tube preamp and go another way? Or move beyond Schiit for any particular reason? It's hard not to just capitulate and do a Freya+ or Saga+ but why wouldn't one just go with Schiit?

128x128hilde45
I agree with the Modwright suggestion. Not long ago, I bought a SWL 9.0 SE Line Stage that Dan had repaired with a new upgraded power supply, tube board, and MWI caps (with remote) for $1400. The result was a startlingly improvement in sound quality.

My system never sounded this good, I'm very happy. Dan is a true gentleman.

Regards,
Dan T
Post removed 
I own the ex jolida - Black ice F35 integrated and it is very refined 
the well know Audio engineer            Jim Fosgateis designing all Black ice gear. The Amplifier looks as good as it sounds .it is retail $2200 but easily will compete with anything at 2 x its cost .
its New preamplifier has a ton of technologies in it. Only one tube 
but it more then makes up with it 
withthe many things other preamps cannot do . Their new website will be  out in a few weeks 10 Audio has done a few short reviews.
Lots to research! Thanks so much. I'll update when I can. No one's saying anything negative about PL. I assume you don't think they're overpriced. I'd like to go with a little guy... possibly... so many options!
Dehavilland Ultraverve 3 is what I have it blew my Manley Labs 300B neoclassic preamp out of the water. 
Like another poster said you MUST! Understand the input and output impedance for matching tube preamps with solid state amps.
Look up Dehavilland Electric Amplifier Co. Kara is the designer, builder CEO, CFO, chief bottle washer all of the above . She is great to deal with and has always been responive to my questions.
Happy Listening
Mark