Audible Illusions wait time ?

Hello all,
Im in a bit of a quandary.
I had an old Audible Illusion 3A pre amp, that had some hiss and static on the volume. I called audible illusions and spoke to Art. He said it might be the volume pots. Long story short, he said he’d allow me to send him my old pre amp and move up to the new 3B. I said ok, and paid him for the 3B. He said it would take around 4 weeks. Now it’s going on 6. I called him and he said I’m behind two other people. (Once it is completed I am to send him my old pre amp) Now I’ve read about all the LONG lead times before the unit is manufactured (I see it can take    several months). Now I’m remembering, that I liked the 3A pre amp I had, (it was in storage for several years unused) but now I remembering that I didn’t like that volume WASN'T remote controlled. (Having to get up and down was a pain in the ass). I understand the pre amp is a good one, but I also don’t want to wait a few more months for delivery. Besides I’m thinking that I will be disappointed that the volume isn’t remote controlled. What do guys think?
After thinking about this, I think I’d really rather have a pre amp with a remote controlled volume. But is there anything out there around $3000 new or used I should look at that dan compete ? 
Id be willing to keep the deal as is, if I could get delivery in a week or two, but I really don’t think that will happen. Do think I should stay with the 3B, or pull out and look for another pre amp with volume control ? Thanks
mike_f
Your need for a remote control is one thing, the wait time for the 3B is another. I also had a Modular 3A, mine had the John Curl phone boards and when I accepted the offer to trade mine in on a new 3B I jumped on it based on my love of the Modulas that I already owned. The 3B had just been introduced and for me this was a no brainer as I had no reason to look elsewhere as I was planning on this to be my retirement preamp, 14 months later and at least 20 excuses I received my preamp. I loved the preamp but decided to sell it and moved on to a Lamm LL2.1 pre and an Allnic HE1500se ll phono and am living happily ever after, albeit at almost 3 times the cost but just didn’t want to deal with Al again. With all this said, I do like Al and he builds one he’ll of a preamp but he doesn’t seem to have a feel for reality. Good luck and hoping for the best. Enjoy the music.
I was an AI dealer way back in the day. I’ve known Art (not Al) for all that time. Even back then, delivery was hit and miss. I really do believe Art "tries" to be honest in the lead times, but it usually is a lot longer.

AI is a very small company that only has a few employees, (IIRC, just Art, his wife and maybe two others). The preamps are built "when ordered". So there really isn’t any inventory of units.

Art was going to retire a few years ago, but customers, industry insiders and others convinced him to keep going once he moved to Florida. So he opened a new facility, but it’s rather small.

Also, ordering tubes or other parts can take awhile.

I love my preamp and really don’t think you can do better for anywhere near the money, (just my opinion).

The new L3B has a remote, if you don’t need or would be willing to buy a separate phono stage.

It’s, of course, your call if you want to move on.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tas-legacy-audible-illusions-modulus-preamplifier/
mike_f
Now I’m remembering, that I liked the 3A pre amp I had, (it was in storage for several years unused) but now I remembering that I didn’t like that volume WASN’T remote controlled.

The AI 3A is one of the best pre’s I’ve heard, mainly because they run the tubes very hard and don’t have the greatest life span for a tube pre.

Get a tech to install one of these, one of your volume control pots will become a dummy and this will take the place of the other to do both channels. Should take an 1-2hrs to fit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-100K-ALPS-Remote-Control-Volume-Motorized-Potentiometer-For-Preamp-Amplifier/113521392543?epid=0&hash=item1a6e66fb9f:g:DXcAAOSwpLdcLzXo

Cheers George