Adjusting speaker positioning. What, if anything, to expect?

I am going to adjust my Magico A3’s positioning a little bit to try to optimize their performance and the listening experience. Due to the logistics of the room they’re in, there’s only a limited amount I can move them. I’ll describe the room and what I can do within those limitations. I’m wondering what improvement I might be able to achieve with adjusting positioning.

The room is approximately 14’ x 22’. There is a high vaulted ceiling. about 15’ at it’s peak centered in the room on its horizontal axis. Picture how kindergarten child draws a house. That’s the shape of a cross section of the room and vaulted ceiling.. The speakers are located about 8’ apart centered on the long wall. The front of the A3’s are only out 22" from the wall, the rear of the speakers only 9" from the wall. That can’t be helped. The prime listening position is on a couch about 10’ out from and facing the same wall, also centered. The components are on shelves centered and built into the same long wall the speakers are on. There are some other furnishings, and books above built-in cabinets, line most of the other three walls.

I can move the speakers about a foot farther apart or closer together, and I can change their toe-in. What changes, if any, might I be expecting or hope to achieve moving the speakers within these limited parameters? Could the sound-stage be affected? I’m not sure what the sound-stage should be like anyway. Should it extend to the left or right outside the speakers, or be mainly between the speakers? Right now depending on the recording the vocals and instruments are usually between or no further apart than the actual speakers. Could the treble, midrange, or bass response be augmented or diminished depending on positioning? Are there any other factors that may be affected by positioning alone? Thank you for any guidance and please feel free to ask any questions. Thanks,

Mike
skyscraper
I think Geoffkait is right about using a software for the speakers and for the room, in Foobar 2000 it is a component : Mathaudio room E.Q. 2.7.6. We need to buy a mic...

But I had not used it, I will test it this summer...

Anyway others are right that some results by trials and errors using ears can gives good result...The immersive imaging I had at my 2 listening positions is proof of that...But I think optimal results are impossible without advanced tools... Ears cannot  help much to compensate mechanically for example for the interferences between the resonant speakers and the resonant room...Some corrective device must play this role...
Rego I’ll try your suggestion of moving the couch out of the way and standing a bit from the wall. I can also try having no toe-in just to see what that sounds like. Interesting suggestions to start to get a feel for the sound. Moving the speakers closer together to seven feet apart would be great and an aesthetic gain as well for the room decor, especially as opposed to moving them out to nine feet apart which I was hoping not to have to do.

Could you clarify what the word "Baffles" means. Is this another word for speakers or some part of of them. And what do you mean by "decouple the speakers"? The room decor does take precedence and acoustic treatment will not be in play. I’m not thinking there will be any need for any anyway. Thank you for your suggestions.

In response to your second post, should I be measuring the distance from the wall from the front of the speaker, rather than the rear as assumed distance from the wall meant? That would be a much more favorable measurement to go by.

Geof, the vocals are usually dead center with occasional variation depending on the recordings. I’ll try the chair on wheel out when the couch is pushed out of the was as rego suggested with the desk chair im sitting on rirgt now as I type this reply to you.

Miijostyn, thanks for your explanation of imaging. Here’s something I don’t understand about it and why I’m inquiring if the sound stage should extend beyond the current eight feet between the speakers. If you were listening to a live band or orchestra there would be well more than eight feet between the musicians on either end of the stage. That would seem impossible to recreate except in miniature in you living room. Also most studio recordings are done with the musicians separated or partitioned from one other, or recorded completely separately. it would seem the imaging in that case is solely the construct of the producers or sound engineers.

Geoffkait, I’ll get hold of an XLO test CD as you suggest. Is it the Sheffield one you are referring to? That name came up when I googled XLO test CD just now. Thanks for the suggestion. That should be helpful.

Pragmasi, I could try the switching wires out of phase trick you mention for an experiment. There shouldn’t be any issues with the speakers having equidistant spacing as you mention but thanks for the heads up on that score

onhwy6, I will do some experimenting with the positioning. I’m trying to get a clue about what factors should be in play, what I should be looking to accomplish, and what might be going on. I usually am self taught, but there is so much knowledge and experience here on site it would be a shame to not take advantage of what you all know.

Needfreestuff, thanks for the tip on measuring between tweeters.I wasn’t sure where to measure from. Before I purchased the Magicos, knowing I couldn’t move them out any further from the wall, I contacted one of their VP’s to discuss this issue. Part of why I chose the A3’s was they are un-ported. The VP said they could go as close to the rear wall as 7" but were best placed 20" out as you point out. One day I hope to add a separate Music Room to the house were they can be better situated to avoid the bass and mid-range issues you cited. I could move them farther out now, but I’d have to vault over them to get to the rooms on the other side of the house.

Tablejockey, yes life is filled with compromises. Maybe one day I’ll get that music room built. I still have some old papers on room acoustics from Klipsch from their "Dope from Hope" series copied fifty years ago on dealing with how to design that music room. It’s on my bucket list, just like getting an expensive stereo system was. I’ve made that one come true, so who knows.

Mahgister, sounds like you should come over and set my system up. I’ve a big Federal style library table to deal with in the listening room, just like the desk you ’ve had to deal with. And with room treatments out of the question. for aesthetic reasons I’ve that to deal with also.

Sgordon. thanks for the practical advice and warning about no cheating. It makes sense to use familiar recordings too. I’ll do that.

Thank you all for so many well thought out and helpful responses. I’m looking forward to utilizing your ideas as best as possible.

Mike

This message is for Rego. The recommended distance for magico is from the back of the speaker. Not the front of the speaker. Warmest regards Joe
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, Millercarbon. Would you mind clarifying some of the terminology you used so I can follow what you are saying carefully. What exactly do you mean by "imaging". I’ve heard the term used many times, but never had anything but a vague or loose understanding of what it means.
Imaging is one of many audio metaphors. One thing they all have in common, they have to cover a wide spectrum. Another is they’re often used by people with little experience. So no surprise if it seems vague.

At one end of the spectrum of imaging you have the sense of the singer being somewhere in between the speakers. This is one small step up from where it sounds like its coming from both speakers together and spread all around in between. This is not very good imaging and would be called diffuse, vague, or my personal favorite, crap.

Way on over at the other end of the spectrum you have the jaw-dropping sensation of a live human being actually being there, and it is as if the speakers no longer even exist. You stare in disbelief and wonder if they are even working. This imaging is called palpable presence. The image isn’t just a location, its lungs and chest and throat and mouth and lips, and yeah this is partly imagination but you can reach a level where imagination is hardly even a factor any more, you are gonna experience this whether you want to or not. Michael Fremer’s term for this is there’s more there there.

The whole range in which this imaging happens, left to right and front to rear, is the sound stage. At the low end different instruments are somewhere sort of to the left or right. Sometimes you might tell them apart but a lot of the time they’re all mixed together. We say the sound is congealed. At the high end each and every individual instrument is clear and distinct in every respect from its harmonic signature to its location and even the way the sound it makes echoes around the acoustic recording space. When every individual source is clear and separate and distinct this way we say the imaging is precise or there is air around the images. Air as in space. But you have to watch out, because a lot of these terms are thrown around by noobs who have different ideas and equate air with top end extension, which is a whole different thing. But hey, it happens. So watch out.
Also when you refer to "bass and mid-range balance" what are you meaning? I’m only guessing, but Is it the amount of one in relation to the other, or something entirely different?
Yes its relative. Since you don’t have a lot of room to maneuver and since speakers are a hassle you can experience this just fine with a laptop or even a cell phone. Play some music and hold it out at arms length. Then walk over by a wall, or place it on a desk, anything like that, you will hear the sound change immediately. Same thing happens with all speakers everywhere. Put em where you like em.
As you suggest, I will be careful to keep everything absolutely symmetrical to the 1/16" inch if need be. Thanks for pointing out the need to be that exact.The current set-up when you sit in the center of the couch is an equilateral triangle with the speakers 8’ apart on center and the listener eight feet from the front of either when seated. Does this sound like a reasonable arrangement? The speakers are toed out a bit from that, so I’ll toe them in as you mentioned so they are pointed directly at the listener’s
head to have a solid center image to start with, and proceed from there.

I get a lot of flak for saying this but precision symmetry is all. My fallback is the framing square and tape measure. One year at CES we struggled for hours until I used a tape measure and framing square. Boom. Done.
One last question for you or anybody. How far should the sound stage extend beyond the speakers, if at all? I read somewhere on site the sound stage should not extend to the left or right of the left and right speakers unless they are wired out of phase. Is that so? The sound stage now often seems to emanate from inside the shelf area holding the components between and in back of the speakers.

Yeah, you will read a lot of stuff somewhere on this site. The worst are the ones that get just enough right to hook you into thinking they are helping only later (if you’re lucky) realizing they led you far astray.

Don’t waste one second worrying about this kind of stuff. Ultimately your goal isn’t to be wide or deep or palpable or any of that. Your goal is to be the recording. Whatever that is. For good or for bad. Whatever moves you even a little bit away from feeling like you’re listening to a really good stereo and a little bit closer to feeling like you are there, that is what you want. And there’s a lot more to it but this is where it all starts.