Unexpectedly low volume with Schiit Saga + Vidar

Hi all, 

I was hoping someone could shed some insight into what feels like low total volume from my system.   I recently upgraded my amplifier from an NAD 316BEE to a Schiit Saga Plus + Schiit Vidar.  Given the Vidar is fairly dramatically more powerful than the 316 (and weighs about 4x as much), I was really surprised it didn't seem to boost the total volume of the system at all.  I have the knob on the Saga + preamp all the way up and it's solid, but it's a long way from "blow the doors off the place."  I also don't really hear anything out of the speakers until the volume knob on the preamp is to about 11-noon.  

The signal path is as follows: 
Spotify > Airplay > Airport Express > Saga > Schiit > Magnepan MMG.  

Yes, the Spotify / Airplay volume are maxed out, such that I'm feeding as much signal into the Saga as I can.  I have the same issue with my turntable (Rega P2 > Schiit Mani).  I know the MMGs aren't the easiest speaker in the world to drive, but it just really seems like this amp should be able to crank them up to seriously high volumes.  

Thanks for the help!
Alex

aslawson
That seems to make sense, as I get about the same total volume from taking an 1/8th > RCA stereo cable and plugging directly into the vidar.  

Seems I may need to get a preamp with some gain....

Any thoughts? 
Look into the Freya units, as they offer a gain stage ( 12 db I believe, which is gain = 4 ).
It seems like that's what I'm going to be needing.  

I assume my sources that I'm putting into the preamp right now don't have much power behind them and that's why the volume is so low. 

Would something like a streaming DAC (I have my eye on the Cambridge CXN v2) likely output "hotter" and therefore result in more volume? 

The typical output voltage of most sources today, is about 2 volts. I use a passive unit ( no gain stage ), but my speakers are very high sensitivity, so passive gives me plenty of output and drive, between any amps I run, from my sources ( I prefer passive ). Active vs passive is a topic that has been discussed here plenty, but it is dependent on the matching of the system components. I would think, a preamp with a gain stage, would benefit you.
I get what you're saying.  I'm sure if I had a different set of speakers this would be very loud.