The “They are here” vs “You are there” sound topic

Hi all,

I want to start a topic about the “They are here” vs “You are there” type of sound. I have read that different audiophiles usually fall in one of either categories, but what does it actually mean? So here a few questions:

- what is the definition of “They are here” vs “You are there” in your opinion?
- what is the main difference in sound? E.g. soundstage
- which kind of sound do you prefer?
- which type of speakers fall in one or the other category in your opinion?
- what type of sources, amplifiers or even cables fall in one or the other category in your opinion?

For instance, I believe the Esoteric products from Japan fall in the they are here type of sound. Do you feel the same?
128x128richardhk
I pay zero attention to distinctions such as "you are there" versus "they are here". It is a nebulous concept and has no power, imo, to actually advance an audio system....
It is evident to me that the phenomenon of there versus here is a function of the recording, and the degree to which it is felt is a result of the quality of the system. It is not dependent upon any type of speaker, as I can obtain that distinction in listening with whatever type of speaker I use - panel, horn hybrid, line source, dynamic, etc. :)  
I think that douglas-schroeder reflect my own opinion well...

My own experience is takes cares of the 3 embeddings of the audio system, and you will be there and they will be here....It is what I feel like in my 2 listening position in my room...
Wait, what? Duke hasn’t posted yet??? Must be working on it still then....
Erik, no offence intended. I was referring to your comment about not having been at the original performance thus not being able to evaluate a system effectively. 
" Wait, what? Duke hasn’t posted yet??? Must be working on it still then.... " 

Yeah baby!
@mijostyn

I think we can all evaluate for ourselves how much fun and pleasure our systems create for us. :)

The rest I took to another thread.