Direct or Reflect ... What's your flavor

Was thinking about this from another thread. When we think of a basic speaker we usually think of monopoles. That is, speakers with a single baffle or plane from which sound emanates out of to the room, but as long as I can remember there are examples at all price ranges of speakers designed specifically to reflect, or whose basic construction forced rear or side reflections. Among the "forced to reflect" categories:

• Electro static speakers (Martin Logan, Sanders, etc.)
  • Open Baffle / di-pole
Then we have ambient reflectors, which I include:
  • Bose 901 and smaller direct/reflecting models
  • Snell with their rear tweets
  • Wilson 
  • Probably numerous others
Let be clear though, NONE of these ambient reflectors are accurate. None of these latter elements can be called a way of credibly and accurately increasing the transmission of information from the recording to our ears. To my mind these are all in the land of bass shakers. They add some pizzazz and excitement, and perhaps an illusionary venue.

So, still, for your music and tastes, who has gone with di-poles or ambient reflecting speakers and never looked back?
erik_squires
What did they call those iddy biddy Bose speakers? The little white cube ones? Two of em one right on top of the other? With of course a "sub". Everyone knows you have to have a "sub".

Because there was this one guy, a regular at The Alehouse, he had em. And he was telling me how crappy they were, no imaging whatsoever. And no he didn’t say imaging. Already said, regular, bar, try and keep up okay? So that was me. What he said was man its all vague and stuff. (I know what you’re thinking but this is Redmond, mile from Microsoft, guys in bars know words like vague. Most of em.)

I said yeah because stupid Bose makes wife speakers, don’t sound good nowhere but sounds about the same level of not good everywhere, which is what women want, it don’t mess up their chit chat so much.

And yeah I talk that way in a bar, you wanna make somethin of it? So anyway like I said the guy is a regular and so next time he sees me he’s all hey you were right! And I’m like yeah tell me bout it. And so if you could just fill me in on which Bose that was then we could get down to the next order of business tracking this guy down to let him know how helpful his opinion has been filling out this little poll.
Erik

I have Matrix 800's in Room 1.

I have WPK Quad 57 (set up high physically) with dual Dynaudio 12" subs set up near field in Room 2.

Objective 1 was make Room 1 (Midrange and High Frequencies) sound like Room 2. 

Objective 2 was make the bass in Room 2 sound as good as the bass in Room 1.

You can click on W. E. Coyote to see the Room pics.

Cheers Chris

I wish somebody would come out with a contemporary version of the Definitive Technology BP 20.

A *bipolar* speaker design in a heavy large tower cabinet with awesome bass and soundstage even at low volumes.
@audiokinesis

I read no argument there.  The truth is we are all here to figure out what kind of illusions we like the most. Then we argue what measurements and tools make this illusion more easy to define and achieve.

Best,

Erik
I wish somebody would come out with a contemporary version of the Definitive Technology BP 20.

You know, I'm kind of surprised no one is making add-on speakers to turn any speaker into a bipolar.  Self-powered, self calibrating accessories that would do more for you than a lot of tweaks. :)