Just Curious - About using a AV Receiver as main unit

Just curious about something.

I know it is preferable to use a Integrated Amp or Pre-Amp+Amp combo as your main unit in the system but sometimes I see used AV's receivers see from manufacturers who make really good high end 2 channel equipment and these receivers sell for less then say a 2 channel component from the same manufacturer (units from say Rotel, Anthem, Arcam, Marantz, etc). Also, since we are talking about AV Receivers, I guess it's fair to compare them to SS Amps. If your into Tubes, then that is whole different story.

I wonder sometimes if you start a build using one of the AV receivers instead of the 2 channel component, would that be a good system to build off of.

I will say for myself, I started with a Denon AVR-5700 (which I still have and was a beast in it's day) and I think it was an excellent piece of equipment and had a great 2 channel section.

Last year I bought a Integrated amp but honestly, I could have easily stayed with the Denon and build off of that.

Sure, these AV's receivers wont compare to components that are way up there in the thousands but if your budget is bit tight I think these components would be great to start with and I am not talking about your $400 dealer receiver from best buy, I mean AV's receivers that were top of the line in their day and now can be had for much cheaper. 

Well just curious and my opinion.

Thanks
128x128jay73
This was just a thought experiment
I can’t imagine they are all crap
Well then thanks for letting us know this is all in your mind. Would have been nice to know before wasting our time. But whatever.
If you do at some point decide to quit just making stuff up and venture out into the real world, there you will discover the reality that AVRs are indeed all pure crap. Whether you can imagine it or not.
Reality. What a concept.
And how about using the AVR as just a pre-amp and adding a really good 2 channel amp to it, if power is a issue in the AVR? 
Nope. Sorry. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Miller,

Actually, in my original post, I stated "Just Curious" and I also stated, " I will say for myself, I started with a Denon AVR-5700" and also, " Last year I bought a Integrated amp but honestly, I could have easily stayed with the Denon and build off of that."

So I think I was pretty str8 forward with the intention of this post, if you feel this was a waste of time for you, that's on you.

And I was under the impression forums were a place to gain knowledge, share ideas and thoughts. Something popped in my head and I thought I would come here to talk about it.

And I am not making stuff up, I was trying to have a conservation with the community and I very much live in the real world.

Conversation:  a talk, especially an informal one, between two or more people, in which news and ideas are exchanged.

Wow, what a concept.
jay73 - Don't let it get to you kid. Most of us are on your side.
Enjoy the miracle.
Hello Jay,

It seems like you want a system for 2-ch music and surround sound for television and recorded movies(home theater or HT).
If so, I have a suggestion that will be a good transition from an AVR to higher quality separates that you can build on as funds allow:

The main hub component of this solution is to buy a used Oppo 105 Bluray player. This is a very versatile product with a very high quality audio section that can serve as a preamp (but only for CDs and streaming since it has no inputs for other sources), CD and SACD player, streamer, surround sound processor up to 7.1 (but no Atmos) as well as an excellent Bluray video player (1080p but not 4K).
For 2-ch listening, the Oppo has left and right rca and xlr outputs you would connect to a separate stereo amp of your choice. This is a transition point into higher quality stereo playback since almost any separate stereo amp will perform and sound better than the amps in your Denon AVR. The l+r stereo channels double as your front l+r mains when your using the Oppo for HT surround sound playback.
For the other 5.1 or 7.1 surround channels, you could start out by connecting the analog surround channel outputs on the Oppo to the analong surround channel inputs on your Denon AVR. This will allow you to utlize the internal surround channel amps in the Denon.
When you have the funds, you can transition to better separate amps for these surround channels that would be connected directly to the analog surround channel outputs on the Oppo. You would have the option of using a high quality 5 channel amp or using a combination of multiple channel,stereo and mono amps for powering the center, side and rear surround channels. Remember, your separate stereo amp for l+r 2-ch music playback would double as the amp for your l+r front mains for HT playback.
Volume and source selection would be controlled via the Oppo’s remote. There’s also an analog sub output that can be connected to your sub if you have one. This output allows you to use the sub for LFE (low frequency effects) for HT and as a normal sub for music. The Oppo has internal menus that let you control the cutoff frequency for the sub and for setting and balancing the relative volume of all surround channel speakers including the sub.
You can connect the Oppo to your wi-fi, either through an ethernet cable or wirelessly, to receive software updates and stream music, tv and movie content from internet sources such as Apple, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Tidal, Spotify, etc.
You can also connect an external storage device for movie and music playback that utilizes the Oppo’s excellent Saber DACs for high quality digital to analog audio conversion on both video and music stored content.
When you’re ready, you can continue your transition to higher quality separates by choosing a preamp with HT Passthru to allow for more source components to be connected to your system and even further improve audio playback quality.
I utilized my Oppo 105 in exactly this manner for about 6 months, in a effort to simplify my system, with excellent results.

Tim
@dweller 

Thanks, I am doing ok. 

@noble100 

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Actually, I am not looking to incorporate a AVR as I already have a 2 channel system with a Integrated Amp.

I had just brought up the subject because I thought it would be beneficial to talk about in case someone out there was looking at building their first 2 channel system but were on a tight budget and so I thought starting with quality AVR might not be a bad idea.

As they build their system around it, they could simply replace the AVR with a good Integrated or Separates. 

That's the only reason I brought up the topic but to be clear, I was not trying to get advice on incorporating a AVR for my own system (I had started that way but moved on).

Sorry for the all the confusion, perhaps I started a bad topic.