Just Curious - About using a AV Receiver as main unit

Just curious about something.

I know it is preferable to use a Integrated Amp or Pre-Amp+Amp combo as your main unit in the system but sometimes I see used AV's receivers see from manufacturers who make really good high end 2 channel equipment and these receivers sell for less then say a 2 channel component from the same manufacturer (units from say Rotel, Anthem, Arcam, Marantz, etc). Also, since we are talking about AV Receivers, I guess it's fair to compare them to SS Amps. If your into Tubes, then that is whole different story.

I wonder sometimes if you start a build using one of the AV receivers instead of the 2 channel component, would that be a good system to build off of.

I will say for myself, I started with a Denon AVR-5700 (which I still have and was a beast in it's day) and I think it was an excellent piece of equipment and had a great 2 channel section.

Last year I bought a Integrated amp but honestly, I could have easily stayed with the Denon and build off of that.

Sure, these AV's receivers wont compare to components that are way up there in the thousands but if your budget is bit tight I think these components would be great to start with and I am not talking about your $400 dealer receiver from best buy, I mean AV's receivers that were top of the line in their day and now can be had for much cheaper. 

Well just curious and my opinion.

Thanks
128x128jay73
I don’t think AVRs are all that bad. My 11 year old Onkyo (post HDMI) is more than adequate for casual listening. It 1. Does not distort 2. Has no noticeable frequency imbalances 3. Is very dynamic (you should see the power supply tranny on this baby!) and 4. Has versatility out the wazoo!
It is lacking some power (on paper) compared to my BAT two-channel and some refinement but it isn’t "total crap" -not by a long shot.
Finally, what the Onkyo does with a movie soundtrack is awesome!
Onkyo TX-SR876
I had an Onkyo receiver, and Theta Casanova at the same time.

Even my non-audiophile friends didn't like the Onkyo. This was many years ago and your mileage may vary, but it was yet another piece of gear I recycled quickly.

I ended up using a Parasound P7 with an Oppo Bluray player for a very long time.
If money is tight while you're building your system, then an A/V receiver is fine to start. You can find them cheap (sometimes very cheap) on a variety of websites. I have seen them for 10% of their original price. Try to get one from a well-known manufacturer (like Marantz or Pioneer), with HDMI. You can always upgrade, but in the meantime, you'll be listening to music or watching movies.
I'm sure it goes without saying, but I was talking about buying your A/V receiver on the used market.
They sell for 10% of original price for a reason: nobody wants them. Nobody wants them for one very good reason: they are crap.
When money is tight the absolute last thing you can afford to do is throw it away on crap.
Pennywise, pound foolish. Think about it.