Balance knob ..

So I'd say I've been a budget audiophile for 40+ years. Used to sell audio at Audio Warehouse in Cincinnati in the '80s. Currently I have a pretty big room with 12' ceilings, but different open areas behind each of the Maggie 1.7is and the Emotiva BASX 10" subs behind each. All driven by an Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3 and old CJ PV-10AL preamp. Listening mostly through a Bluesound Node 2i. CD player is a Panasonic Aventage BD1060 disc player. I have the sound, honestly, pretty damn great. But I am realizing a bit of bias to the left speaker. I think this is because that speaker has a lot space behind and to the side whilst the right has less and more complicated space behind and a closer side wall. 

I have always been told - and believed - that you shouldn't ever mess with the balance knob. But if the sound is a bit UNbalanced isn't that what it's for? Just to "balance" the output? But then I think with more signal going to the channel that the knob is turned to - which will screw-up imaging, soundstage, depth, etc., no? 

I am kinda stuck cuz I can't move the speakers or have a dedicated listening room. 

Thoughts? 
jkf011
I have always been told - and believed - that you shouldn't ever mess with the balance knob.

Same story with tone controls. Rubbish. Use it if it feels right. I mean, what exactly would the consequences be?

I do have to watch out for ear wax though as it builds up faster in one ear, always worth making sure your ears are clean.

Best,

E

My listening space is perfectly symmetrical, all direct/indirect identical l/r.

I would never live without a balance knob.

In your case, if the physical space surrounding the speakers is not BALANCED, you will definitely benefit from a balance control, and, only certain frequencies will be boosted/cut by the lack of symmetrical surfaces, so tone controls in addition to balance might be a good idea.

I would definitely recommend toeing the speakers in, aim each speaker directly at the listening position, boosting direct and reducing indirect sound waves.

this current 'TONE Controls' thread is related to your situation:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/toole-and-why-i-like-tone-controls

Please read my too long post there, there is a lot to think about, much interrelated.

I have 3 of these,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chase-Technologies-RLC-1-REMOTE-LINE-CONTROLLER-Complete-In-Original-Box-NEW/333463145628?hash=item4da3f3cc9c:g:bV8AAOSwEDFdpQFT 

one main listening; second office; 3rd spare!

105db S/N is true, no one can tell if it is in or out of my system, the benefits are terrific, would definitely help you.

anyone interested in the Chase RLC:

Not OP’s current issue, but, LOUDNESS Contour (I yap about that in the prior linked tone thread)

The Chase RLC unit has loudness automatically engaged as you reduce the volume from it’s default level. It gives you the two volume control system I talk about. RLC ON, default volume. Use preamp or integrated amps vol to boost to your normal preffered volume. Then, for more, boost the RLC. For lrss, cut the RLC, it will begin loudness bass boost progressively as you reduce volume.

I have seen threads, other buyers who love the RLC: they open the RLC and defeat it’s Loudness chip. That is because they do not understand it, don’t have the volume arrangement for it’s engagement set low enough, they engage the loudness too early, the boost is too loud, not it’s intended use.

Get it right, retained bass at low volume is terrific.
It actually doesn’t matter if the listening space is symmetrical or not because the radiation pattern of speakers is not uniform. And probably not symmetrical from one speaker to the other. Objects like bookshelves, furniture, etc. will also contribute to the non symmetry. Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water. 🦈 
I have a small system in my computer room and one speaker is about 4 feet from my listening position, the other is about 7 or 8 feet.  I listen from my computer and also have a turntable and CD player.  I use the balance controls on the PC and also use the balance controls on my Parks Puffin phono stage.  I can't do anything about the CD player, there's no way to balance the speakers when using that, but it's pretty rare that I do.

Repositioning everything so that I'm sitting smack dab between the speakers isn't really an option.  

Sure it's a compromise, but would listening with one speaker almost twice as loud as the other be better?  I don't think so.