CD/Transport W/ External DAC

I have been using my cd player(carin fog) as a transport and has since died and gone to cd heaven. I was and will be using a Benchmark Dac1 as the Dac. My Question is there a sonic diference in using a cheap cdp under $1000 vs one in the $2000 range if it will only be used as a transport.
Thanks for your help
faziod
Thanks for all your responses,I will now be on the look out for a better CDP or Tranport. Any sugestions?
Faz, CEC are good transport well made, top loading,
I have one, but I thought of selling it many times,
I know for the money I will get, Its not worth it,
My plan is send it to Modwright for transport
mod, and I am thinking of buying audio note DAC.
Sony 9000 es is a good choice too.GOOD LUCK.
I feel the need to chime in and second the remarks that Lak has made. I am still a bit of a novice in relation to some of the more seasoned hands on AG, and for me each component change has been a learning experience.

I just recently purchased a CEC TL2 and now find myself in the camp that feels that transports CLEARLY make a difference. My front end now very much outshines my downstream amplification, so I feel that I am still short of experiencing all that I have. But I can very comfortably say that with the addition of the transport I have for the first time had the opportunity to really hear the quality variations in the distributed media.