Done selling on eBay, they are demanding my social security number to sell

They are forcing everyone into what they call "Managed payments" that requires  you to give them bank account information and your social security number. Looks like I'll be selling here from now on. I know I gave it to PayPal years ago so they have it, but I'm done giving it out. I called and the rep told me they are legally required to have it in order for me to sell. That is a load of crap.
herman
Been on managed payments for maybe 7 months now, no issues to report.
It was inevitable after the eBay and PayPal divorce really.

The 1099 for the irs is also nothing new, just being enforced now by PayPal and eBay since 2016. Prior to that the irs was reliant on individual to report, yeah right like that was going to happen.

All to do with money and nothing more, good old government worried they were losing so much sales tax due to internet sales.
And of course all they came up with was a half baked scheme.

What a surprise.
I get the big picture, eBay wants and will get the seller fee that PayPal has been collecting. Must be a tremendous amount of $$$.

It just flies all over me that they demand my SSN before they will allow me to sell.
So, if I bought an amplifier in 1965 for $800, and sell it today for $2200, is there an adjustment for inflation caused by our socialized monetary system, thereby eliminating any gain in true value, or does the government get to steal that too?

Frank
It appears that all of the interweb transaction companies are being hounded by the I.R.S to comply with  their new demands - this site included.

I closed my membership on this site because PP and Audiogon require defining one's self as a merchant,  a business.  I returned only because other sites for selling or buying good equipment suck - especially eBay.  You cannot even list an item COD here because of the new stipulations.  Ridiculous.