Damping Plates

Lots of discussions about isolators and couplers used on the bottom of components but not much said about dealing with internal resonances using damping plates on top of the equipment. Harmonic Resolution Systems (HRS) is one of many manufacturers that make such devices but, like all things with an audiophile label, they can get expensive. Low-cost alternatives such as scuba dive weights have been mentioned by some.

Have you tried damping plates and were there worthwhile improvements in sound quality?
turnbowm
I use them on all my tube components. I have various footers, mostly DH Cones with maple platforms to drain component and rack vibration.
I'm using Edensound damping weights on top to prevent acoustic vibration; 
two damping weights evenly placed on top.
https://edensoundaudio.com/shop/category/damping-weights/

lowrider57
3,504 posts
02-07-2020 11:24am
"I use them on all my tube components...."

Reportedly, tube equipment and CD players/transports benefit the most from resonance control, although I had good results on a DAC.
Lots of discussions about isolators and couplers used on the bottom of components but not much said about dealing with internal resonances using damping plates on top of the equipment. Harmonic Resolution Systems (HRS) is one of many manufacturers that make such devices but, like all things with an audiophile label, they can get expensive. Low-cost alternatives such as scuba dive weights have been mentioned by some.

Have you tried damping plates and were there worthwhile improvements in sound quality?

Hello! https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367

Look at the pictures. BDR Shelf and dive weights on top of Oppo CDP, Verus turntable motor drive, and Herron phono stage. Been like this many years. Written up in many posts. You might want to read them.

This all falls under the heading "Vibration Control" and represents the difference between the false notion of "isolation", of which there is no such thing, and control, which there certainly is.

Or if you follow mahgister (which you should, it is worth the effort) then its one of his three "embeddings". 

Either way its significant, and in a lot more ways than just a rack or a shelf or cones that are under a component. What's inside, and what's on top, are all equally important. It is all vibrating, after all.

You can spend money and buy stuff but I recommend that you first try as many freebies as you can. That way you actually learn something. I started 30 years ago with phone books. So long ago I almost feel obligated to explain about books being these paper things, with words and pages, only actual pages you have to turn with your hands not scroll with a mouse. You get the idea. What you are talking about is nothing new. A lot of us have been doing it a very long time.

Anyway you try whatever your imaginative little mind can conjure up and happens to be just laying around. You try, and you listen. You pay attention to what it was, where you put it, and how it changed the sound. Pay particular attention to its properties of mass, stiffness, and damping. Do this and I can just about guarantee that after a while you will notice some patterns begin to emerge. 
The false notion of isolation? Are you out of mind?

Dive weights. 👨‍🚀 Give me a freakin break! I already know what you’re going to say, “It sounds fabulous!”

Knowledge. That’s what’s left after you forgot whatever it was you supposedly learned in school.

Money is an excellent substitute for knowledge. - Harpo Marx
millercarbon2,876 posts02-07-2020 1:13pm
"....You can spend money and buy stuff but I recommend that you first try as many freebies as you can. That way you actually learn something. I started 30 years ago with phone books...."

I experimented with a dictionary before investing in scuba dive weights. I credit you with that idea from your Home Theater post.