Disappointing On Mcintosh......help

3 Months ago  I went to NYC and stopped by the WOM  and auditioned several MCintosh gear...........and left a bit disappointed or not impressed...then I told myself   " lets give a second shot"  and went today to a  HIFI store and again Good room accoustics10K speakers , MC Preamp , MC Amplifier........ and again  the same disappointment I felt 3 month earlier.

Is that the "warm" sound people reffer to about Mcintosh?  
The sound is ample, base is powerfull  but the the sound is simply  not to clear, the hights are not too "crisp"  It sounds like the treble is set at 3 and needs to be adjusted at 9 or 10.
It seems like  the sound is  coming through a thin layer of paper ...that is the way I describe that sound.  

Then 20 minutes later I auditioned a Parasound A21+ and a JC5 and the sound was more clear and the highs were crispier

Whats your take on my experience?  or That is the MC "warm sound? 
128x128cydrone
I am really surprised a lot of times by the dumb remarks people make in reference to questions asked. If fact, people reply back many times with information that is not what the posted question is  about. My answer to your question is very simple and with common sense. You can not judge McIntosh amps unless you hear them on many different systems. I would guess McIntosh has a certain “house” sound that you should get familiar with to see if that’s for you. I have heard Mac amps many times and when set up correctly, they sound very nice. But it’s important to remember that the hired designers at McIntosh come and go so the “house” sound will change throughout the years. I personally feel that it’s important to purchase from a reputable hifi manufacturing company because it will still have a good resale value in the event it doesn’t work for you. Compared to Parasound, the McIntosh has a much better resale value.  I personally have a ton of tube and SS gear but have never owned a Mac amp but I have absolutely no objective in getting one. But I would never want a Parasound in my home. 
@lowtubes I agree you should buy from a reputable hifi manufacturing co but NOT for future resale value. Who knows what the future holds.
I haven't read all replies.  Just in case,   I want to mention that some Mac amp models sound better than other Mac amp models.  I know of recording and mastering engineers in NYC who love the following Mac amp models.
- the Mcintosh MC 252 solid state amp- 250 watts per channel (luscious tube-like sounding amp_ without the tube concerns.  ideal for a mixer.  No longer made.
- the Mcintosh MC 275 tube amp -75 watts per channel (their classic tube amp - don't let the 75 watt rating fool you.  One powerful,  wonderful sounding amp.  I recommend you use different tubes than the stock tubes.  From the likes of Golden Lion or Penta KT88SC for KT88 tubes.  And tubes like vintage Teleflunken tubes for the smaller tubes.
-  the Mcintosh 7205 five channel solid state amp- sought after also for it's tube like attributes.  Has maintained it's value over the years and is quickly bought when it shows up for sale.  No longer made.

Cheers and enjoy the quest!
Yes low tubes..........it holds resale value better then most but in actually NO AUDIO EQUIPMENT hold resale value worth a darn only bested by cars and trucks but at times audio holds resale value even worse then cars and trucks and BY DARN when i buy audio equipment I HAVE NEVER ever purchased with that idea In mind ....NEVER ...... i purchase to keep forever to make love to my music with the best  sound possible that is why i own 4 pair of Quicksilver TRIODE 6C33C Atma-sphere M60 and Merlin and i will die with all of those that is how impressive they all are ................ and yes I have made mistakes about 250k worth over the last 40+ years but I finally I got smart (possibly even divine intervention) that is why a higher power sent me Quicksilver 6c33c’s ....Merlin....Atma-sphere....DH labs Revelation and Deity..... Hattor and thank god Khozmo to replace all Alps junk and Duelund in everything
@durkn The Mcintosh C2500 is a perfect match with my VTL 450MKII amps.  The C2500 beat out ARC and VTL for a place on my rack. It came down to preferred house sound, options and bang for buck value.  One of the deciding factors was the two Phono sections, MC & MM.   Huge cost and space saving.  Yet, even better is how it brings out the best is all my gear.  Note: I've owned various VTL product over the years and love it. I have never owned ARC.