Streamer opinion.. Pease comment on validity.

Please comment on the below statement. 

"A streamer is just a digital network appliance. It connects to a network, renders a digital stream, and spits out either analogue or digital audio stream. It's just digits; you don't need an 'audiophile network streamer' for the digital aspect. The 'audiophile' stuff is handled by the DAC. If the DAC can't clean up noise and jitter on the digital inputs, it's poorly engineered; look elsewhere."
128x128pkvintage
Is a long term evaluation a test of the components or our brains adaptability?
djones51
If genuine differences are revealed over time, then it’s obvious - by definition - that it’s not the brain’s "adaptability" that’s responsible. Otherwise, "adaptability" would suggest that no difference be heard.
cleeds
Is that how you choose your audio components?
I hate to throw this out there but for the most part I buy online without any demo.  I just read as much as I can here, and try to buy from venders that allow returns if a product turns out to not have synergy with the rest of the system.

I live in rural Vermont and the nearest bricks and mortar stores with any type of choices are hours away.

But if a bricks and mortar store offered a blind test I certainly would not refuse it.  

How do you know it’s a genuine difference of the component and not the brain becoming adapted to the sound of the component? I guess you do measurements of the two different components being evaluated, if there are differences something should show up. 
djones51
Does it matter?