best low priced bookshelf speakers

My son-in-law is looking for a set of under $200 bookshelf speakers for his outlaw audio r2250 receiver. Any suggestions?  I have an old NHT sub zero subwoofer for him but no speakers.
jjjaker
I've got some Pinnacle PN5+ speakers from the 1980s. I'm getting new speakers, soon, to replace these little guys, but they really sound great. I paired them with a sub and...even better. They're quite compact, too. FWIW: http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/pinnacle-pn5-plus--452.html
Post removed 
Never a better time to purchase inexpensive speakers. Many quality choices out there. If I were looking for under $200 I would steer towards the Wharfdale or Elac suggestions. The Pioneer BS21 or 22 should go for under $100. 

The outlaw receiver could be paired with higher quality speakers. However, until one has defined what their listening preferences are, might be wise to purchase a inexpensive pair and save money while exploring the marketplace for an upgrade. This is often my recommendation for someone starting out in audio on a limited budget. 
I own the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR and have used them with quality adequately powered SS amps and for the life of me do not know what the hype was all about. Whenever I rotate them into my system I inevitably take them out after a couple of days. I have read that the real magic was in the previous iteration of this speaker.

I wonder if I just like the tone of the Scanspeak classic series speaker drivers in my go to tower speakers.
I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it. The JBL 530s are an incredible buy even at their regular price of $600 a pair.  You can catch them on sale for half of that on the JBL website every so often.  You can ditch the sub as these puppies crank out some serious bass with their 5.25 inch woofer.  Give them a try.  Your son-in-law will not be disappointed.