Sansui CA 2000 preamp

I have an opportunity to buy a CA 2000 preamp in very nice original condition ( i'm assuming I'll have to recap min so I have factored in a service upgrade cost). I'm a big Sansui fan and run one of their tuners a TU 717 with updated caps in my main system and a AU 5900 in a second system in my computer room. The AU 5900 is surprisingly musical and fun. 

The Sansui CA 2000 will be for my main system so the big question is are these worth the hyp they get (after a full service of course) or should I just pick up a Schiit Freya+.  The cost will be almost identical after I factor in the rebuild cost and or shipping and duties on the Freya+. 

I really like all the features that the Sansui offers but wonder if the sound quality is really up to the hyp the Pre gets online. 

glen 

128x128glennewdick
Only bad sounding thing Sansui ever made were speakers .Excluding the junk they were outing to stay alive last 3-4 years .
schubert

I think your point is right on the spot...Anyway half of a crowd is so deluded that in audio and in all other area they like junks...

For my Sansui amplifier I dont see his limitations in sound, I will need probably speakers of a skyrocketing price to feel that with a new dac of an astronomical price tag... Or complete new technology, a more refine one like the Berning Zotl Amplifier to compare to... 
Thanks guys looks like I’ll pick it up and have it serviced and updated as needed. Again thanks for the feedback 

glen 
I picked it up and had it recapped, some small transistors replaced and diodes etc.  I'm shocked at how nice this preamp is. It's dead quiet (100db speakers so I'd know), full of life, musical as hell and a huge sound stage. very detailed top to well the 50hz I get out of my speakers lol. not at all muddy and slow as I expected from a vintage piece. I forgot how useful tone controls are in a multi use system ( tv-movies-music). Over all best $1000pre+$500 (parts and labour for recap etc.) I've spent in audio in a long time. Lets not get into how nice it is to look at, well I suppose that user opinion. 

I really like how slow the taper in the volume ramps up at first, for us hi efficiency speaker owners its a blessing to be able to use more then a few deg of rotation.  

I have to say they really did build some nice equipment in the late 70's early 80's. trying out vintage as proven a good move, in this case anyway. 

I'll bet a nice tube amp would be a great combo or maybe a class D amp always wanted to try one. 

well cheers all my friends thanks for the help

Glen 
Glad it fits into your system well! Especially regarding the low noise with sensitive speakers. 
A low powered amp would work well with them and a single ended tube amp might work well. At 100dB efficiency all you might need would be a 300B amp with typically around 7 watts. Which speakers are you running? What sort of volume do you play them at?
Class D amps are very efficient and put out lots of power for their size, but you possibly won’t need their high power in this case.