Quad ESLs - I have some questions

Recently I heard the latest model Quad ESL, 2905 I think, and it was a love at first listen kinda thing.  Of course I began looking at used Quad ESLs, and I am curious what the significant differences are between the 63s and the later models like 2805s and 2905s?  Used 63s are in my price range now, 2805s etc would require some patience, so I'm curious if the SQ, reliability, power handling, or other differences are worth the additional cost?  W/r/t 63s, should I be wary if they've been rebuilt. or should that be comforting if the rebuilder has a good reputation?  Anything else I should know?

The 2905s I heard were powered by a Bob Carver Crimson 275, the dealer said my BAT VK-55 would also be a great match.  I listen to singer/songwriter/acoustic/Americana/indy/alternative music with some experimental, jazz, chamber, and classical piano thrown in.  Think First Aid Kit, Jeff Parker, Wilco, Michael Kiwanuka, Gordon Lightfoot, Everything but the Girl, Anna Meredith, generally 85-93 dBs.  Room is 12x20x8, set up for one listener, fairly well treated.  Current speakers are Thiel CS-2.3s.  Also considering Zus and Devores.
128x128thosb
Can't help you with the old versus new Quad comparison but totally get why you fell in love. I remember hearing a pair of 63s many years ago and being awestruck at the purity of the sound. The Quads aren't for everyone or every room so tread carefully. If you like that kind of midrange magic but want to be able to play your Americana/indy/alt music loud at times then consider a pair of Harbeth's or better still Daedalus (there are a pair of Athena's for sale here now). The Devores and the Zus are pretty good too but you will likely not feel the love for them the way you did for the Quads.

All well design ESL’s are great, the only area that they fall down is deep powerfull bass that moves the air in the room common theme of most esl/planer speakers. The only one that did move air was the old Maggie 3 panel Tympani with additional side wings making them 4 panels wide each, but they were the size of room dividers. http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/6/63369/image1.jpg (these don’t have the wings attached yet.)

It’s why my Monolith esl’s are xover at <150hz to great dynamic bass units, that can if needed, you feel through your body with organ notes, and hit’s hard in the chest with the dynamic snap of drums.

Crossing over any higher than 150hz is not advised, as it means the bass drivers are then getting into the lower mids, and you want to keep this for the esl, been there done that, no good

Cheers George
I have Quad 57s, rebuilt by Quads Unlimited. Great speakers. That said, I prefer my Bache Audio Tribeca speakers. Beautiful midrange with tight bass and overall a much better balanced speaker. 
i have the 63 and the 2.3. you might think about what else was different in the chain...they have different strengths for sure.