Toole and why I like Tone Controls

In another thread I was pointed to a really excellent paper by Dr. Floyd Toole (he doesn't use the Dr. but it is well earned) on getting to neutral.

So I want to go back with a little history. In all of audio reproduction theater sound reproduction is among the most rigidly controlled areas of audio. From the needs of Dolby Surround playback, to introduction of acoustic decay requirements introduced by THX, and more, the attempt to deliver a uniform theater experience has been a subject of serious effort by many, and continues to be so.

That's in sharp contrast to consumer music.

So while this article focuses heavily on theater sound, it also touches on just how difficult it is for even theater sound experts to get to neutral. If they can't do it, imagine how hard it is for music!

And, yes, I'm going to hijack Dr. Toole's paper to plug tone controls. With all the guessing that goes on, not using tone controls, and not having great tone controls to use is folly.  Quote me. I said FOLLY!

http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20200201/17839.pdf

Also, personal request, if anyone knows how I can get in touch with him and be a fan boy, please let me know. :) I'd love to hang with him, and it turns out he's a local.
erik_squires
Also @millercarbon

How many different ways can you contradict yourself in a single sentence?? Are you a newspaper astrologist??
Dude, I have an ancient (ca 1963) Macintosh c20 preamp. It has tone controls as well as a built-in parametric equalizer for different recording co. standards (the preamp dates to before RCIA standards, which normalized recording equalization across major music publishers, so it's suitable for 78s, etc.)

Some people will tell you that tone controls degrade clarity, etc. If so, I can't tell. My old Mac is the clearest, most honest preamp I own, and I own numerous more modern choices.

So once again, musical quality, clarity, etc. comes down to manufacturing quality, not features. I understand the "purest signal" argument - if nothing else, a simpler circuit provides less opportunity for screwups - but in reality, tone controls well done are fine, and they're quite helpful, user friendly, and will actually permit you to listen to and appreciate more music, especially badly recorded stuff. 
Hello jeffjoeblob,

I'm just curious about how you tend to use your tone controls and built-in PEQ, do you have the controls set at specific positions and generally keep them there or do you find yourself adjusting them from song to song or album to album?

Tim