Wavac MD811 + Headphone

Hello Guys,
I am want to buy Wavac MD811 Amp to drive Denon HD7000 headphone and Audeze LCD-4, but I am not sure if 16 ohm enough for them. if you have any experience or suggestion I would love to hear it.

Cheers,Niko.
128x128nikodavidoff
Hi Niko,

I don’t think that would be a good idea, for different reasons in the case of the two headphones.

Assuming the amp is set up with a 16 ohm output tap I suspect the 25 ohm impedance of the Denon headphones would be reasonably suitable, in itself. However, like most headphones the Denon is vastly more sensitive than speakers, in this case being specified to produce a sound pressure level of 108 db in response to an input of only 1 milliwatt (i.e., one-thousandth of a watt). So you would most likely find yourself using the volume control just about at the bottom of its range.

The Audeze phones are less sensitive, specified to produce an SPL of 97 db for an input of 1 milliwatt (although that is still vastly greater than the sensitivity of speakers). However their 200 ohm impedance would be a gross mismatch for the amp, and it might not even be safe to operate the amp into such a high impedance. As you are probably aware tube amps having output transformers can be damaged if they are operated without a load when they are processing a signal, and from the perspective of the amp 200 ohms may very well be high enough to approximate an unloaded condition.

Regards,
-- Al
Thank you very much Al for your help, then I will not buy Wavac, it is not suitable with these headphones.

Niko
Hello Al, do you have any amp suggestion for these headphones, I consider to buy an amp around 1000-2000 USD second hand price range.

Regards,Niko