MC cartridge loading: still baffled

I am using a low output moving coil cartridge- a retipped Linn Troika.  Recommended loading is 100-200 ohms which I have always followed.  My phono pre is an Ayre P-5xe and set to the highest gain.  Years ago, Michael at Ayre said most moving coil cartridges sounded best when loaded at 47k ohm using their phono pre.  I just got around to trying this setting and it does sound more open and better to me.  Lately, I am discovering that much of the dogma that I have been following isn't necessarily correct, at least with my system and to my ears.  Another example I found recently is that my arm/cartridge performs just fine with very little anti-skate force as opposed to just picking a setting equal to VTF as universally suggested.

Back to the loading question:  is the proper loading more a function of the phono pre or the cartridge itself?
jc4659
A good explanation of the blank record and the similar use of the run-out section of the record can be found if the last listed video here:

https://www.sound-smith.com/articles/videos

This is the method now endorsed by Peter Ledermann and Frank Shroeder (tonearm maker).  It is also the method described in the instruction manual of one of my cartridges (I believe it is the one for the Lyra Titan, so J.C. Carr is also endorsing this method). The video explains why this is a reasonable approximation.  

Someone mention listening for how well centered is a soloist on records with a well-defined center image.  To me, that would work only if your cartridge had perfect channel balance and few owners are that lucky.  I would rather have the cartridge set up for optimum physical alignment, and compensate for channel imbalance with the balance control on my linestage.

@lewm
I stated that a blank record is what works for me. I hear a large improvement in the stereo image when I use that method.  I could care less what is said on other forums. You should give it a try!
lewm doubt your keeping score, but I have to give you
1 point for tortuosity. :)
I would guess that using a blank LP would give you a baseline for AS force, because I am guessing that the skating force on a blank surface would be a bit less in magnitude compared to that of a stylus traveling in a groove, where the contact points are to the side walls of the groove.  Whereas on a blank LP, the very tip of the stylus is all that would contact the vinyl.  Plus, the stylus is not having to negotiate tiny undulations due to the recorded signal. So, maybe less skating force.  If all this is so, then the blank LP could give a good baseline from which one might need to add a bit more AS force for playing LPs.  I dunno.  I certainly never meant to say it is dead wrong to use a blank LP, but I prefer either Mijo's suggested method (using the run-out grooves) or my own, which is apparently also the approach recommended by Frank Schroeder.  (At least I am in good company.)  I think this is enough tortuosity for all of us.