Curious record side labeling

Do any of the jazz gurus on here know why some double-set records have this curious side labeling where record 1 has sides A and D, and record 2 sides B and C? It does not make much sense to me, and I wonder what purpose it serves other than to confuse the listener. I noticed this with a couple of Coltrane records from the '60s, recently with "The Other Village Vanguard Tapes."
actusreus
Does anyone know if the side sequencing has been changed with recent repressing.
I'm listening to Tommy and hate the 1-4, 2-3 sequencing. I would definitely purchase some Lp's again to get it right.
@johnto

Yes it is available in the sequencing that you want. Keep the version that you have though, it is an original pressing. Here is a link to purchase.

https://www.musicdirect.com/vinyl/the-who-tommy-vinyl-2lp                                

I did get a little laugh reading this discussion. Man what would people here have done with the original pressing of WoodStock, it's sequencing of album sides was 1-6, 2-5, 3-4. When that was first released we all thought how great it was. Stack the 3 records on the changer, listen to 3 sides then flip and listen to the other 3 sides. An engineering marvel !                                 

when did record companies phase out changer siding ?i have two copies of the 1978 FM film soundtrack, my US copy has changer siding, my Australian copy has conventional 1/2/3/4 siding.