Can you tell me why I didn't like the Reference 3a MM's?

So I recently asked about a new amp on the Amplifier forum.  I got a lot of good advice and ended up with a Pass XA25.  I really like this amp and the sound.  I have been told by Reno Hi Fi, Pass Labs and B&W, all of whom I contacted, that the XA25 is under-powered for my B&W 705S2 speakers.  But it sounds very good.  However a little flat when the volume is low.

So I am looking for some more efficient speakers.  I tried a used set of Reference 3a deCapo MM's, but they did not have the clarity of the B&W's and sounded a bit muddy at times.

I am looking at Omega Super Alnico HO's.  But I am wondering if the full range driver sound is what I didn't like.  

Am I wrong in thinking more efficient speakers will sound somewhat better at a lower volume?  Can you possibly tell my why I didn't like the MM's?  Something about their design or build?

Any thoughts on the Super Alnico HO's?  I don't want to move down the speaker sound chain.

Thanks much!  Any other speaker suggestions welcome!  But not horns.  I am not a Klipsch fan.
128x128jgoldrick
I’ve heard the Fritz off a ~ 10 watt tube  amp at a show. Not efficient but an easy load and they sounded amazingly top notch at moderate volume in a typical size hotel room. One of the best of show. I would love to pick up a pair someday.
I have a pair of the MM de capo BEs; they're very good, but I find that I slightly prefer the Wavetouch Antero.  I'm talking about in my home, all else being the same, just switching speakers.  For watching DVDs, I use a solid state preamp and amp; for serious listening, I use a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp and Dialogue Premium HP amp.  Also a pair of subwoofers (with either preamp/amp).
I have spent many years with 3A de Capos, and found that they can be quite magical with the right amplifier. I tried a Pass J2 with them, and was surprised that the J2 did not do anything special with them. I know the J2 and other Pass amps such as the XA25 have sounded fantastic with other speakers. I am guessing that the reason you were not impressed with what you heard was due to a similar amp/speaker mis-match. The 3A speakers are a very easy load for even flea-powered amps, and can sound very lively with such amps, despite their true efficiency, which as mentioned above, is actually around 88db watt/meter. 
+1 @mapman

Certainly for the price and parts, they are amazing values. I was at a show and got to talking to some lady musicians / audiophiles who recorded DSD for Blue Coast. Fritz was one of their favorite rooms.

Best,

E
The reason the op doesnt like what hes hearing is the lack of custom tuning. Get your crossovers custom tuned and be happy. 
Why buy another speaker when all it needs is retuning?