Can you tell me why I didn't like the Reference 3a MM's?

So I recently asked about a new amp on the Amplifier forum.  I got a lot of good advice and ended up with a Pass XA25.  I really like this amp and the sound.  I have been told by Reno Hi Fi, Pass Labs and B&W, all of whom I contacted, that the XA25 is under-powered for my B&W 705S2 speakers.  But it sounds very good.  However a little flat when the volume is low.

So I am looking for some more efficient speakers.  I tried a used set of Reference 3a deCapo MM's, but they did not have the clarity of the B&W's and sounded a bit muddy at times.

I am looking at Omega Super Alnico HO's.  But I am wondering if the full range driver sound is what I didn't like.  

Am I wrong in thinking more efficient speakers will sound somewhat better at a lower volume?  Can you possibly tell my why I didn't like the MM's?  Something about their design or build?

Any thoughts on the Super Alnico HO's?  I don't want to move down the speaker sound chain.

Thanks much!  Any other speaker suggestions welcome!  But not horns.  I am not a Klipsch fan.
128x128jgoldrick
As already noted, an efficient lively standmount is something of a contradiction in terms. There are ways to get around your gain problem too. 
This comment has me scratching my head;
I really need to stick with Bookshelf, as my "listening room" is my garage and the speakers are about a foot off the ceiling and wall for protection.
Protection from what? I hope you don't mean your cars! Placing your speakers only a foot from the ceiling and from the rear wall is inherently problematic. Why? Well for starters that creates a room node problem. Second, most bookshelf speakers are ported and despite their name, never sound best on a book shelf. They need to be away from floors, ceilings, and walls. I am curious as to how you have them mounted there. 
I have them mounted on holders that stick out about a foot and are down about a foot from the top of the speaker. They tilt slightly downward towards where I sit and work. 

Protection from cars, dust, dogs, kids, flying pieces of wood from a saw.  My garage is my space generally, shared with my shop, office, wife's car nights, grandchildren, pets, tools, saws, etc.

Not the best arrangement, I know, but it's what I have and it works fairly well.  I tried the foam plugs in the ports, but the imaging dropped wayyyyy off.
I saw you only had 13 posts and I was impressed by your humble photo/avatar and figured I would try to help you out. You have a lot of very nice gear for that environment. 
With that, I'm out :-)
I think I have the solution.  Fritz loudspeakers.  I heard these driven with a 300B SET headphone amp at CAF and they were excellent.  For the Pass it will be a breeze.  Look at the Carrera and Carbon models.  Fritz also offers a home trial.  BTW, they have excellent bass extension, so you're not giving up a lot by going with standmounts.