Newbie Question

I’m leaving the world of HT and at age 48 venturing into the 2 channel HiFi jungle and am smart enough to know I know nothing. 
So if any of you can help or offer advice I’d deeply appreciate it. 
My current situation is this... 

If I have high effluence speakers 97sensitivity , wouldn’t a Vintage Integrated or Receiver, even at 50 watts be perfectly adequate? 
I have heard the vintage stuff, or some sounds great, although the thing that draws me to this route is the aesthetics and the fact that build quality of Vintage gear is unrivaled. 
There are a lot of Marantz, Kenwood, Pioneer & Sansui receivers around , how do I know which ones are worth getting and even restoring if necessary?

Where is a good place to send Vintage gear to get work done?

There is a Puoneer SA9800 I’ve seen, is that something that is considered to be a good unit?

Any suggestions or knowledge you wish to pass on is appreciated 
bt70
97dB will play loud with even a few watts. Depending on budget, speaker quality, and wherewithal, you could jump straight into a nice SET. If that's not for you, any tube integrated or power amp will be a massive improvement over solid state receivers. 

Classic Pioneers or Marantz receivers are quite nice. In Pioneer, I like the SX 50 series. The Marantz 2270 is a classic. There are places that do servicing and full restorations. Depends where you are- 

Old Tandbergs (ie, 2075) is also quite nice.