PrimaLuna preamps. Use of 5R4GY tubes instead of 5AR4 / GZ34. Yes or no?

Post addressed to the owners of Primaluna preamplifiers. Have you tried to replace the 5AR4 / GZ34 rectifier valves with 5R4GY? Although the valves have completely different values, they are recommended as an upgrade on the Primaluna website and by UPSCALE Audio.
https://www.primaluna-usa.com/tube-rolling
I would like to try these valves on my Prologue 3 but I am afraid of some breakage.
I would like to know your experiences.
Thank you.
Alessandro
128x128yukio
Don't change the 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier. The 5R4GY has a different voltage drop and will change the B+ voltage! Bad idea! If you are itching to try something different stick to changing the first two input tubes. Plenty of good vintage choices: GE, Sylvania, Brimar, Telefunken, Amperex, Telefunken ...
From the PrimaLuna website...

"The 5AR4’s used in our preamplifiers are considered to be fantastic. It is as close as you are going to get to a classic Mullard. We have found that the Mullard and Gold Lion Russian re-issues are not as dependable in PrimaLuna preamps, so it’s best to stay stock when it comes to current production 5AR4’s. Do NOT use 5V4/GZ32 as they may fail and cause damage not covered by warranty.

There is a vintage tube that is quite popular called a Philips 5R4GYS. Very cool looking tube that lasts a long time. It has a slightly warmer presentation, if you need that. Read the reviews from other users. A lot of people like it, but if your speakers don’t have enough top end, it may not be a good idea.".

I do not know what to think. They expressly advise the replacement of the 5AR4 / GZ34 with the 5R4GY.

yukio:

I have used the Philips 5R4GYS in my PrimaLuna ProLogue 3 with great success/results. The Philips tubes were purchased from Upscale Audio. They are the only tubes tried in this position other than the stock PrimaLuna 5AR4’s.

As others have mentioned I would consider it a bad idea deviating from a 5AR4 type tube, unless recommended by PrimaLuna/Upscale Audio.

From the PrimaLuna Tube Rolling Page:

The 5AR4's used in our preamplifiers are considered to be fantastic. It is as close as you are going to get to a classic Mullard. We have found that the Mullard and Gold Lion Russian re-issues are not as dependable in PrimaLuna preamps, so it’s best to stay stock when it comes to current production 5AR4’s.  Do NOT use 5V4/GZ32 as they may fail and cause damage not covered by warranty.

There is a vintage tube that is quite popular called a Philips 5R4GYS. Very cool looking tube that lasts a long time. It has a slightly warmer presentation, if you need that. Read the reviews from other users.  A lot of people like it, but if your speakers don't have enough top end, it may not be a good idea.

Hi TubeGB
so you had no problem using the 5R4GY instead of the 5AR4 / GZ34 on the Prologue 3.
Have you used them for a long time?
What improvements did you perceive?