GaN, Hypex & ICEpower

What's the difference between them? I can't seem to find anything...

I use SX-1000R monos (Furutech Transmission fuses) with an Octave HP700 & it sounds fantastic! 
I keep discovering companies making class D amps (thanks to you guys) & wondering if it's worth staying with class D & not make the move to Manley Snappers...!

Thanks 
Rich
128x128infection
GaN is a material, gallium nitride. The material has recently been used to develop high speed semiconductors including transistors. It’s recent use in Class D amplifiers is interesting because it raises the switching frequencies which, of course, they claim sounds better.

Hypex and ICEPower are brands. Hypex makes a variety of products but is most known for their Class D amplifiers. ICEPower is a brand owned by B&O which specializes in Class D amplifiers and components. Both have wide adoption in the industry as suppliers of amplifier modules.

Hypex, or Hypex designed amps have been used in products from NAD, Theta Digital and others. ICEpower sells not just modules but chips and controllers allowing OEM’s to design their own Class D amps from single-digit watts on up.

For the average consumer, listening is your best guide, but if you want to get technical, Hypex's white paper repository is probably the best single place to start:

https://www.hypex.nl/p/application-notes-white-papers/

Have fun!

wondering if it’s worth staying with class D & not make the move to Manley Snappers...!

You have to make this call on a case by case basis. Listen for yourself with your own speakers to make the call.
Thanks for the info. 

I am aware of the company Hypex & that B&O own ICEpower, I was just curious as to the difference in performance...

Does anyone own a GaN based amp? 
GaN amps are brand new to the market, and very expensive, but you should start to read about owners on here soon.

From spec-manship, Hypex claims much lower damping factor than ICEpower, and better compatibility with low impedance speakers.

From a sound perspectve, each has it's fans. Don't forget Pascal by the way. They have their fans too. Mytek I believe uses those.
Don't forget Pascal by the way. They have their fans too.

I see they have a platform called UMAC...which companies use it?