Vandersteen 5a, 15 years old vs. new Vandersteen Quatro Wood (upgrade or downgrade)

I currently have a Vandersteen 5A purchased about 15 years ago in great condition. My  equipment  is Thor 150 watt  tube EL-34 monoblocks with a Thor linestage, Sony SACD player and a middle of the road VPI turntable. Was reading about the Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT which I believe retails for $15,000.00. The wood has the carbon tweeter, my 5A's do not. The Quatro also has a 250 watt amplifier for the built in sub while my 5A's have a 400 watt amp.  If I purchased a new Quatro Wood and sold my 5a's would the resulting sound be better overall in my 8 1/2 by 15 foot room?
 My rationale for considering this upgrade, is that I would be getting a speaker with all new parts and would obtain a new warranty.  Any thoughts would be helpful.  In short is todays' Quatro Wood CT a better sounding speaker than my old 5A?  Would this change be an upgrade and would it yield an improvement in sound to justify the cost?

Thank you. 

M

128x128kjl1065
No to your no, where did he say he had them on the short wall ?

Well let's consider the long wall option.

If he places them 3 ft. from the front wall, that would make his listening position 4 ft. away. Speaks for itself.

Not trying to be contrary, but just pointing out how far too many people shoehorn large speakers in essentially what amounts to a walk in closet and convince themselves they are getting great sound. The OP is not alone. He just happens to have the spotlight on him right now.

This is a very valid point to make in this thread so don't have a cow......

Oz

The 5A and/or the quatro, can be placed closer to the front wall. As close as 1 foot. With the Vandy Eq's in both types of loudspeaker, you have plenty of room for adjustment. Probably not optimum in every scenario, but It works for me as I have the Treo Ct's in close proximity of the front wall including two Vandy subs.
lets shift gears, what speaker are you recommending that does much ( or anything) to change the distances ?

for what it’s worth many of the studio control rooms I spend time in are not much bigger, with lots of bounce off the board. The near field and powered bass can be a wonderful thing ;-)

Crickets Tomic
I spoke to OP and we scheduled a dial-in. There are always folks that know a lot about what they don’t know a lot about. When Vandy’s are tuned 4 inches from the wall ""couldn’t believe it myself "  taught over 20 years ago by RV can then spread speaks wide apart adjust 22 pots, analog room compensation pull-down excessive bass bloat at room’s resonance, perform correct tilt-back address first reflections they are truly awesome. Best JohnnyR