Which combination of components (Streamer, DAC, Preamp, Amp, etc.) are most future-proof?

Hi all,

I’m in the process of gently upgrading my older, mid-fi system. I’ve started with speakers (Salk WOW1’s, REL 328 sub). I recognize that the amplification, cables, room, and source all need investment.

I’m focusing first on source(s) and how to serve them up. While I have a decent CD collection, mostly I’ve been streaming my music from ripped MP3 files and Spotify. I no longer have a working CD player. I know that higher resolution sources (lossless files or high quality streaming) is important. Re-ripping my collection may become a project.

So, here’s my question — a lot of reading has shown me a dizzying range of ways to go. Music servers/streamers, DAC, preamp, amp are available in many combinations. I’d like quality but am not inclined to spend tens of thousands of dollars; I resist going the "separates" route for *every* piece. So which combinations make the most sense? A streamer/DAC? A preamp/DAC? An integrated amp/DAC? Something else?

In addition to resisting separates, I’d like to invest in good components which won’t quickly be outdated. So, for example, if DAC’s are likely to evolve quickly, then I’d like my integrated amp to not be weighed down by a DAC which would too quickly become a vestigial organ inside it.

To reiterate the question: What combination components would best help out with some portion of the sequence of serving--converting--amplifying--digital sources materials while avoiding too-rapid obsolescence?

Thanks for entertaining the question. Again, I’ve read a lot, but it’s not made my path clear. (Or maybe I just get a PS Sprout and call it a day?)

Dave
128x128hilde45
I would say the amp is most ‘future proof’. You can run a variety of ever changing front end sources on a good solid amp that ‘agrees with your ears’, has the ‘sound signature’ you desire, and the synergy and power to supply your speakers of choice, and keep it for a very very long time. But, you’ll probably want to change it regardless at some point, just because that’s what most of us do, even though it may not be necessary.
So I was in your same situation recently, getting back into the game after having the same components for 10ish years. 
I spent a decent amount on a tube integrated. Primaluna EVO 300. I like the idea of being able to roll tubes in the future (future proof? Maybe). I went with Tannoy XT8F for speakers. They punch way higher than their weight (a friend who owns Focal Grand Utopia was a little dismayed at their price/performance ratio!!!). 
DAC is my current dilemma. Still running a 7 year old Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus. Can do better. I have my sights on the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge. I like the analogy mentioned above of looking at it like a new TV. You know you’re not buying it for the next 10 years. I do like the idea of DAC+streamer. 
Very happy with the results so far. I’d might go as far as staying it’s 90% as good a my buddy’s $300k system, but @david_ten will chastise me for not backing it up with facts! ;-)

For streamer/dac I have Teac my-505. It was $2k new but now I think you can find it for a little less. It’s really good. Forum user jackd, after owning both, says it’s better than LUMIN D1. 
Sounds like a great system. My gambit is to avoid looking at at least the DAC as a TV.