Listening for Proper VTA Setting

I had to take my old Eminent Technology 2 tone arm apart to replace a wiring harness.  It is back together now and sounds good, but I am paranoid about whether I have the adjustable VTA set properly.  If anyone could suggest any particular recordings or instruments to listen to refine the VTA setting or any visual clues I would really appreciate hearing about it.
kingharold
Thank you very much to those who responded.  The information was very useful, and I now feel I have the VTA very close to right.  I am about to spend some time listening with millercarbon's suggestions in mind.  Thanks again.
85 bucks for the Millennium VTA Block?! You can get one on ebay for under three, including shipping.
Given all the complicated post here, I thought I would chime in. Here is my $.02 keeping in mind that success will depend on stylus shape and the quality of associated components. 

Find a recording that people say is good for hearing the differences when you adjust SRA. Do a search here and elsewhere; there are lots of suggestions out there.*  If you can't find one, take a record of a female singer and listen to it over and over 'till you know it very well. I have used Joni Mitchell's "Blue" Make sure it's something you like 'cause you'll be listening to it a lot.
Set your tone arm to level and listen to the recording a few times.  Level is only a beginning point.  It is rare for absolutely level to be the end point with a sophisticated stylus shape and components.
Read all you can about your cartridge and see if reviewers or users have a consensus suggesting tail up or down.
Change the angle in that direction a very small amount and listen to the whole record. You are listening for the voice and instruments to "pop" making them more 3 dimensional. It's quite subtle, but it's there with the a stylus having a clear rake. Do that again and again in very small increments. If you do not hear improvement soon go back and stay at level.
If your reading does not come up with a tail up or down consensus. You may have to try this in both directions.

* Flying Fish HDS 701, "Sauerkraut and Solar Energy" is a popular suggestion, though one listens for other things using this disk