Upgrade McCormack or...

I have a McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe that I've been very happy with for the past two years, but I'd like to see if I can do better within a limited budget.  Steve McCormack's folks at SMC will upgrade it for ~$1850 (Gold upgrade), but is there a better amp I can find for less than $3000 used (the approximate value of my amp plus upgrade cost), that might make more sense; any suggestions? 
128x128cheeg
over the last few years he has had some well-healed clients ask him to build them ne plus ultra amps. In the process of meeting their desires he discovered new ways to improve the DNA line.
@hifiman5
  and @joecollege  are correct, the SMc upgrades have significantly improved over the years due to Steve's work for clients seeking the best possible amplifier he can build.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him develop and bring to market a new amplifier independent of the McCormack upgrades, as with his VRE-1C preamplifier.

Currently, about the only things they reuse from the DNA amplifiers when performing upgrades (assuming the client chooses the higher/highest level of upgrades) are the chassis, heat sinks, and transistors. They can reuse the transformers but prefer to replace them with Plitron low-noise transformers.  They actually don't care whether you send them non-working DNA amplifiers since they can replace everything except the heat sinks and chassis.

The project they are currently working on for me will indeed include new custom engraved faceplates that will match the faceplate on my SMc preamp.  They offer a variety of colors and engraving options, to meet the desires of their clients.
Great responses -- I had no idea there were so many McCormack fans on Agon!  

@soix Thanks for your suggestion to check out the Clayton Audio M70 monos -- they do look like an interesting replacement, although I have to wonder why the owner is selling them so soon.  If you or anyone else on this thread has heard that amp and can offer a comparison with the DNA-1 Deluxe (either original or upgraded), I'd really appreciate it!
I have a DNA-1 Platinum Ultra upgrade or something like this.  Its an end game amp for the series.  One thing that really is required with his gear is careful component matching, I've had a lot of trouble pairing up these amps with my preamp due to the very high input gain. 

To update my post from August, I recently received my new SMc Audio DNA-1 Ultra G monoblock amplifiers and they have been warming up over a week now.  To get the ball rolling on the project, I simply sent SMc two used DNA-1 amplifiers I purchased on-line.  The upgrades included a new main board designed by SMc Audio and specifically manufactured for them, a large Plitron Low Noise power transformer, new capacitors, many other new parts and connectors, and special wiring.  As indicated in my August post, very little remains from the original amplifiers except for the chassis and heat sinks.  Steve and Patrick told me these represent their best work and they sure sound great.  I just received the recommended Stillpoint Ultra Minis from Steve yesterday that will replace the original ModSquad Sorbothane footers.  The amps are positioned on SRA platforms that were recalibrated specifically for the weight and footprint of these SMc amplifiers. This weekend will be my first chance to give the amps a serious listen so I am looking forward to that.    

@mitch2 — I’d be very interested in what you find in terms of improvements as I’m considering sending my DNA 0.5 RevA in for upgrade, and I also believe my input board may have finally crapped the bed so I need to do something anyway.