I've Just Learned What Amplfier Bias Is...

I’ve just learned what amplifier bias is and want to share what it is, especially to us newbies out there. Here is an email I sent to Klaus Bunge of Odyssey Audio this morning:

Hi Klaus,

Bare with me here as I’m a newbie and am just learning about asking YOU the right questions, before I give you a call as I just read the 12/10 six moons review of the Odyssey Kismet Monos along with the 11/10 audiocircle forum of Kismet vs Extreme:

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/odyssey2/1.html
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=88089.0

So to make a long story short. So far I (think) would like to purchase a lightly USED from you Khartago Stereo Extreme + biased to every conceivable variable you can think of that I may need for my particular system and room specifics.

Am I ready to buy now, no but I’m working on it.

One of the interesting facts is this morning I’ve spent about three hours trying to figure out why and how folks with high end audio gear use components WITHOUT tone, treble and bass control in the sound chain.

What I’ve read this morning and come to understand is it’s because it’s best to get the amplifier manufacturer or DIY biasing of the amplifier for the best resolution, soundstage, imaging, speed, fidelity, tonal balance, holographic three dimensionality, neutral and dynamics - spot on - in the listening room itself and completely compatible with my gear.

Bare with me Klaus, I’m getting there.

I’ve written this on behalf of all of us newbies out here who are constantly trying to learn in this Hi-Fi thing. And by all means you experienced Hi-Fi Heads out there please chime in.

This is NOT to say there is anything wrong with tone controls, DSP, EQ or any other form of tuning your system, it’s just I’ve learned a new way of getting there.

It reminds me of my stubbornness NOT to use my systems room correction so I’m constantly upgrading my systems peripherals by ear.

For example just last week I’ve decided to order Duelund Double Strand Pair w/KLEI banana plugs DCA12GA or what is commonly referred to as Double Shotguns w/KLEI banana plugs of DCA12GA for my front speakers as I’m always looking to upgrade and with this simple upgrade I’ve managed save some coin as I already use single strand pair Duelund DCA12GA for my front speakers and can reuse.

128x128tyray
Amplifier bias is when it only plays Genesis with Peter Gabriel well, but refuses to play Genesis with Phil Collins at all.
@kacomess,
Thank you

@jnorris2005,
He's the one who emailed me he does have specials and trade ins and to give him a call so we can talk about it...For the money, his customer service, 20 year warranty and quality of his amplifiers cost/performance value I have no problem buying used from the person who would personally go through to make sure it's right for me. If I'm not mistaken that's what he's known for...Beside I learned about his quality of his amps from here on agon from @patrickdowns.
Bias adjustment on solid state amplifiers:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/bias-adjustment-on-solid-state-amplifiers

Thanks @erik_squares and @tablejockey. Points well taken but what I’ve read in the above link from @ieales and even @monoogan not only does bias need adjusting at times but DC offsets may have to be adjusted too. I am not going to believe you - just because you say it is so. I’m here like everyone else trying to learn for myself.

Even though it may be easy to do, I will take @atmasphere’s advice and let a competent tech do it. Or maybe I’ll get one of my old vintage receivers in my old audio closet that we all have and start learning on my own, with the help of my neighborhood audio tech guy of course. And get me an audio 101 course book.

@tablejockey,

Thank you!

http://ken-gilbert.com/images/pdf/taste_of_tubes.pdf

I’m not finished yet but the above pdf link is a damn good read!
Behind all that sarcasm you just maybe one cool ass dude!

Now don’t let that go to your head, as I have seen many of your one post comments - with no one having anything to respond to your (ouch) - shall we say thought provoking....Whatever.

Before I opened the link and reading some of the posts here I knew I was going to have to learn more about old vacuum tube theory since it is an early transistor. MUCH appreciated.
Post removed