Holy Brightness Batman!

I recently bought some Energy Veritas 2.2i stand mount speakers, with matching stands, and I was really impressed with them until today.  All of a sudden, they seem overly bright.  I find it interesting, that at first I loved all the detail and clarity and how open they sound, but after a two weeks they are just too much now.

I also found it interesting, that even though I loved the way they sounded during the honeymoon period, I wasn’t listening to music very much.  The first day that I got my Dynaudio Xeo 6’s, I listened to them for 12 hours straight.  I’ve listened to my Tyler Acoustics for long periods of time as well.  The Veritas though, 15-30 minutes into a listening session, I’d be falling asleep, even at 3 or 4 o’clock in the afternoon.  I wondered if it was because my brain was processing more information because the Veritas were revealing so much more information to me.  Anyhow, this is / was not a good thing.

So, I’m wondering if any of you have had similar experiences with “overly” detailed speakers, or speakers that are borderline too bright.  I feel like if I were demo’ing these speakers next to my Tylers, I’d pick the Veritas for sure, but I’d be wrong.  I’ve always been a fan of detailed, slightly bright, speakers, but now I wonder if I would have been better off with more musical, laid back speakers that draw me into the sound and keep my attention until late into the night.

So take note, when you are trying to make a decision on which speakers to purchase, the ones that grab your attention first may not be the best choice.  
128x128b_limo

@b_limo   I believe the Nola boxers are still available and I think the seller would be motivated to make a deal with you for them.  I won’t say why here but encourage you to talk to him and you’ll see.  
@b_limo 

Can’t believe they are as bad as you say.
some simbalance can be from CD player, or the amplifier.

I have Energy’s,they are the best speaker I’ve heard in a long time.

they are yours, so do as you will, I would tweak them and keep them.

Try the 2”x2” cotton t shirt squares over the tweeters, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Or please.try the RC series,  they are the absolute opposite of the veritas.

Thetreble is cut off at 600hz, they are amazing.

Try the RC-10 bookshelf’s. 

The RC-10’s will be what you want.
if you search, you can find a good pair.

I know you’ve made your mind, if u buy the RC-10’s , and don’t like them, I will buy them from you.

Another possible approach is if you can handle a screwdriver and soldering iron. Keep the Tylers and modify them.

Go straight to the crossover and identify the series capacitor to the tweeter. Chop it out and note its value, something like 3.3 to 6.8uf, because you want to replace it with the exact same value.

If you choose a Mundorf Supreme or Clarity Cap CSA you will be well pleased with the results. There are of course many others to choose from but the 2 mentioned are great, reasonably priced and a big step up from the original.

While you are at it, if you see sand cast resistors (the square white ones) chop them out as well, they have no place in power supplies nor crossovers, and replace with same value Mills 12W. Again there are others to consider. Mills are smooooth.

The internal wiring to XO and to the drive units can be upgraded and I recommend soldering to the terminals. If keen there is much help and info on the net to digest.

Some strips of hardwood glued and screwed to the rear and side panels inside the box will provide a slightly cleaner sound. Don't overdo it or you will change the tuning if box is ported.

If the drive units are secured with wood screws then replace them with solid brass equivalents. Make sure they are not just brass plated. If they are machine screws which thread into steel inserts then it won't help. No, don't ask, I have no idea why it helps. It costs almost nothing to try!

All this will not change the overall balance but you will find the sound more engaging and fun.