Build My Own Room Treatments

Hey Gang
I've read much from many of you about treating a room so that you get the most out of your sound system.  I've seen what various audio shops put on their walls etc.  I get the general impression that it's primary purpose is to eliminate the echo effect so that sound waves are less distorted.  It seems to me that someone could build their own wall treatments (and aestetically - no parchute hanging frm my ceiling) instead of paying someone else to do it.  What are the best components for wall treatment?  All bright ideas are welcome.    
normantaylor
Sonicjoy
Thanks for the response. I will check out the reference you have referred me to.  This should be a fun project.  Heck, I just thought of how I can get my wife involved in helping to pick the cover fabric (once I get there).  Understand, that is a very strategic move that has future value :)) 
Millercarbon
Wow!  Thank you for the step by step description of how to go about setting up room treatments.  It was very clear and I am looking forward to doing this. 
I remember reading guys talking about how expesive it was to buy room treatments.  I think I can handle making a frame that can house the material you suggested.  Heck, I even came up with a great idea how to my wife involved with selecting the cover material (porous of course).  I can probably use it gain agreement on my next targeted audio acquisition!!.   
I seriously appreciate your taking the time to lay all of this out for me to follow.  I was particularly blown away by your set up - long ago.  Most impressive.  You have been a serious "contenda" for a long time.  
Millercarbon
BTW - I'm liking my Hyperian MK II cartridge.  Thank you for that referral.
I have built my own using mostly Owens Corning 705 and 703.  I prefer to buy commercial products from GIK, because I don't save enough money to make it worthwhile making my own.  There is one notable exception.  There are back wall areas that I found needed treatment that were shapes and dimensions where  commercial products wouldn't fit or would leave too much exposed surface. 
It is pretty difficult to make bass traps.  Usually, specialized designs and technology is used for those products.  However, it isn't hard to make panels to address early reflection points that interfere with imaging. 

Sonicjoy is right.  Self education is the first step.
Brownsfan
Nice to know who you would buy from in the event this turns out to be a project that is taking too long.  Thank you also for your experiences.