speed controller for Lenco or Garrard

Hi,

there seems to be newer speed controllers for lenco and garrard tt from sound carrier in US and long dog audio in UK.....anyone successfully use either of these or other speed controller power supplies for their lenco or garrard?

thanks

Michael
128x128karmapolice
First, SOTA, the company that makes turntables, hooked up with Bill Carlin, the person who owned and designed the Phoenix Engineering gear, and SOTA now markets the Phoenix stuff under the "Eclipse" name.  This includes an AC power supply like the Phoenix Eagle, and a tachometer, like the Phoenix Roadrunner, that feeds back to the PS and holds speed at a solid 33.33.  You can even buy an AC synchronous motor in order to convert a belt-drive that may not have an AC motor, for use with the Eclipse motor controller equipment (because the Phoenix and therefore the Eclipse equipment is designed to drive an AC synch motor). But that is not necessary for a Lenco, because the Lenco motor works with the Phoenix/Eclipse stuff as is.  Maybe I wasn't crystal clear in my first post.

Second, if you do acquire the Eclipse equipment, there is no need, and in fact it would be a bad idea, to use some other device in order to drop the voltage.  You would let the Eclipse equipment do the job.  Dropping the voltage also is a two-edged sword; at some point you lose torque that way.  Furthermore, just dropping the voltage per se does little or nothing to improve speed constancy.
I agree with lewm if the sota eclipse is based on the Phoenix Engineering Eagle and Roadrunner tachometer. I was lucky enough to acquire an Eagle  from Bill for my Lenco and I can't imagine my system without it. Speed stays pegged at 33.333 without fiddling with any knobs. I also built the controller designed by Nigel at lenco heaven which worked great but doesn't have the dynamic feedback/adjustment from the tachometer like the Eagle/Roadrunner combo. 
I spoke to SOTA and you have to buy the eclipse package with the motor and the condor (speed controller)....price is good $725....I am gonna try the lonedog audio UK speed controller that is getting good feedback....the dealer will let me return it if unsatisfied so even though pricier than $725 I like the return aspect.....the fit and finish is better too
I use an Eagle/Roadrunner combo on ny VPI turntable.  It replaced an excellent VPI speed controller.  There is really no comparison in SQ and convenience.  The real beauty of the combo is the set-it-and-forget-it answer to exact, and I mean EXACT, TT speed.

The SOTA combo even adds a superior motor.  All this for less money.  It may be a PITA to set up, but with real rewards.
karma, Here is how I would think of the two alternative products you are considering:  Even though you don't need the motor, with the Eclipse you get the tachometer that feeds back to the power supply and maintains speed at a near perfect range around 33.333, no matter what.  Or, for more money (as you say), the Lonedog sounds like only a Power Supply that allows you to set speed and then claims to maintain speed without the benefit of feedback, and no motor comes with.  I've never seen either the Eclipse products nor a Lonedog, but I would assume that the Eclipse is similar in "fit and finish" to the Phoenix Engineering stuff, which is "industrial" but fine enough looking and doesn't break.  Anyway, the chassis' are pretty much out of sight apart from the two readouts.  I personally would go for the Eclipse pkg.  But that's just me.