How do you audition speakers at a store?

I would love to know how you all audition speakers in a store. 

Here's my context, which may help explain my question. While I'm not as experienced, knowledgable, or wealthy (!) as many of you, I'm not new to this game, and for the last 35+ years I've made all my serious purchases through one store that I trusted (Take 5, in New Haven). I knew the rooms/acoustics in the store, I knew the owner, and I felt comfortable spending hours there listening to music, often just trying things out. I once spent six hours in one day comparing Maggies, which I ended up buying, with other speakers. I'm sure this sounds familiar to you all. Alas, the owner recently sold the store, it moved location, and, as I live 5-6 hours away now, I'm not inclined to try learn a new environment and a new staff. (I do wish them good luck, though!)

So I find myself without a safe harbor. There are at least four different speakers that I want to hear, in at least three different dealer locations. It's a big purchase for me, in the $4,000-$7,000 range. I feel like a rookie! I'll bring some of my own music and q-tip my ears in the morning, but:

What tricks do you have for leveling the playing field, moving past the psychoacoustic "tricks" that dealers might have to promote one speaker over another or simply the difficulty of mentally trying to hear a speaker as it's going to sound in your own house? I was reading in another recent thread that "Many speakers are voiced to impress during a quick audition, often with a "smiley" EQ." (The poster candidly admitted that he loved them in the store but after a few hours at home they were too bright.) Especially if I can't compare speakers side by side--that is, if I'm going to different locations--what recommendations do you have for minimizing the initial WOW that can happen (because a dealer is a good salesman, because the speakers play "big," because the oriental rug in the room is sooo beautiful, because the room acoustics in one store are better than another, because the amp/components/cables are WAY better than anything I'll ever own, etc)? I also have read that we may be initially drawn to certain acoustic qualities that can shine at first listen but may grate or disappoint later. 

In short, what are your methods for listening "past" a store's environment and the excitement of listening to a new sound ... and hear the real speaker as it will sound in your own space ... for years to come?

I don't know that it matters but I'm going to start my search looking at Kef (Ref1), Harbeth (C7ES-3, 30.1), and Spendour. If I can find a Joseph Audio dealer, I'd love to hear the Pulsars.

Finally: thank you to this community for accepting and welcoming newbies to this culture!
northman
Other than bringing your own music, I would be mindful of the room setup.

If it's truly a professional store, it's likely "tuned" to some degree, to make a speaker perform their best. 

That said, it's not going to sound like that in your room, if the rig is in a living space, and not a dedicated room.

Developing a true relationship with the staff, is paramount. Do you TRUST their recommendations/suggestions? Ask a lot of questions, and go with your gut on whether they are on the level.

It the staff isn't showing true interest in providing what you really want, walk.

Have your Ipad/phone ready for instant reference/fact checking while discussing techie stuff. 
g@tablejockey 

agree, if they don’t kiss ur butt, and make you comfortable, to EARN your business, maybe say something, and walk,

these salesmen men should be earnest.
they should want to make you feel special.

be wary. Enjoy the audition.
It’s all about the relationship, as you seem to know already. What approach did you take when you began establishing your former relationship? Obviously it worked. Right? Anyway, you have to test the sales guy/gal to see if they actually have a clue. Tell them what you like, what you want to hear, what your room/listening area is like etc. see what they say. You will know very quickly if they are into it, or just “a sales guy”. Ask about the return/audition policy, see if they have setup professionals if needed, etc. then put on some tunes and go to town. I’ve managed to create a great relationship with my local shop, and I can pretty much walk in and ask for the floor model of something and take it home. I don’t abuse that, but I can if I want/need to. I’ve also spent a decent amount of $$$, that is ALWAYS helpful! ;-) Anyway, just go for it and have fun!
It is difficult, picking out speakers. As @geof352 does, I always get a final audition at home, after as many store visits as needed to be sure the speaker is a real candidate for me. That only seems reasonable for an expenditure in the thousands. It mainly tells you how the speakers sound in your own system. (If really worse than at the dealership, consider whether your room acoustics need work.)

Have someone listen with you part of the time, another experienced audiophile who likes the same kind of music as you.

There are no tricks to this. It takes careful, repeat listening, clarity on what your goals and tastes are, and willingness to negotiate patiently with your dealer, if necessary, to get the trials you need -- and then not expect a big discount, as well.

P.S. I’ll tell you about a great dealer - Stereotypes in Portland, OR. I was ready to write them a check for a pair of Harbeth 30.1s, and they said, "You should take them home and listen before you decide." I did, and I bought something else (that’s specific to my setup, not a diss of the Harbeths.) They lost that sale but gained a trusting customer.
Ideally of course you would try them at home. But even if you do this routine will really narrow it down and help you figure out if its worth doing.

Bring your own music. Listen to them with the store system. On the same visit have them change something- amp, source, power cord, anything- and listen again. The difference is whatever was changed, but the speakers are a part of whatever doesn’t change. The more of their things you hear the same speakers with the closer you get to what the speakers are doing. Bring something of your own- interconnects, speaker cables, and power cords are easier to lug around than amps- and hear them with that.

Its very important to keep in mind that the best components, speakers or otherwise, do very little to the signal. If that is indeed what you have then you would expect the sound to change quite a bit with different upstream gear. To the extent it does not change, you got some less than ideal speakers. Really good near perfect speakers in other words will sound like crap with crap gear, and sing like an angel with angelic gear, and it will be very hard indeed to pin a character or personality on the speaker itself.

At some point if you get serious then have them set up in the store similar to the way you would listen at home. I’m talking mostly distance apart and from you, and how much they are toed in, but also how close they are to the walls. If they have to be right near a wall at home listen to them right near a wall in the store. Some stores hate moving speakers even more than in-home demos. So there is a process, you don’t always do what you want sometimes so much as what you can.

My Talon Khorus were bought from a dealer who knew me well enough to be pretty sure I’d like them, and how I would use them, and had them set up just like home for me- even though I know he likes a lot less toe in. That’s what you want. What you get however is all over the map. Good luck!