Holy Brightness Batman!

I recently bought some Energy Veritas 2.2i stand mount speakers, with matching stands, and I was really impressed with them until today.  All of a sudden, they seem overly bright.  I find it interesting, that at first I loved all the detail and clarity and how open they sound, but after a two weeks they are just too much now.

I also found it interesting, that even though I loved the way they sounded during the honeymoon period, I wasn’t listening to music very much.  The first day that I got my Dynaudio Xeo 6’s, I listened to them for 12 hours straight.  I’ve listened to my Tyler Acoustics for long periods of time as well.  The Veritas though, 15-30 minutes into a listening session, I’d be falling asleep, even at 3 or 4 o’clock in the afternoon.  I wondered if it was because my brain was processing more information because the Veritas were revealing so much more information to me.  Anyhow, this is / was not a good thing.

So, I’m wondering if any of you have had similar experiences with “overly” detailed speakers, or speakers that are borderline too bright.  I feel like if I were demo’ing these speakers next to my Tylers, I’d pick the Veritas for sure, but I’d be wrong.  I’ve always been a fan of detailed, slightly bright, speakers, but now I wonder if I would have been better off with more musical, laid back speakers that draw me into the sound and keep my attention until late into the night.

So take note, when you are trying to make a decision on which speakers to purchase, the ones that grab your attention first may not be the best choice.  
128x128b_limo
@sbayne , Thanks for that!  I think I needed to hear that.  I put sale pending on my ad and will more than likely pull the ad and keep the speakers until I can upgrade (which I’m guessing will be some stand mounts in the $1500-$2000 range).  I totally agree with the emotional connection factor that you pointed out so well 👍

@mlsstl , I agree with you as well regarding how to properly asses a speakers performance... do the instruments sound real?  They may sound wicked good, super detailed, great attack, but if the sound is lacking the underlying harmonics and doesn’t reproduce music, so what?  

@jtcf , Why do you think that is?  That “they” (hyper detailed?) speakers miss the emotional, musical factor?

@arctikdeth Thats good advice, and something I would do if the Veritas weren’t leaving asap!

Still listening to the Tylers today with no desire to move them out.  I started to think that I may be over metal tweeters, maybe even ribbons, for awhile.  With that in mind, in order to improve on my current Tyler's, I’ll have to get something with some Seas Excel or Scan Speak revelators, or equivalent.   Perhaps some Salks on my way to some Pulsars (its good to have long term goals 😀)
Same this guy.  Tried a pair once with metal domed tweeters (can't recall actual driver but was aluminum) and lasted about 3 days.  Went back to silk.  So concerning Revelators, I'd agree but my current 2 ways use the Illuminators.  They are beryllium (technically a metal)  but trust me on this, they arent like other "metal" tweeters.  Detailed but not harsh or overly  brilliant. I was skeptical to try but now a believer.  Comments seem to put them brighter than Seas but not in typical metal fashion.  
@jamesclarke I heard nola boxers with rel subs, can’t recall if it was 1 or 2 subs, in the Synergistic Research's room at RMAF years ago.  It was too this day, one of the best sounding standmount set-ups I’ve heard.

@akgwhiz I had some Paradigms with Beryllium tweeters and loved them.  I also liked the Revel and Focal BE tweeters as well.  Just about all the BE tweeters I’ve heard, I like 👍