Holy Brightness Batman!

I recently bought some Energy Veritas 2.2i stand mount speakers, with matching stands, and I was really impressed with them until today.  All of a sudden, they seem overly bright.  I find it interesting, that at first I loved all the detail and clarity and how open they sound, but after a two weeks they are just too much now.

I also found it interesting, that even though I loved the way they sounded during the honeymoon period, I wasn’t listening to music very much.  The first day that I got my Dynaudio Xeo 6’s, I listened to them for 12 hours straight.  I’ve listened to my Tyler Acoustics for long periods of time as well.  The Veritas though, 15-30 minutes into a listening session, I’d be falling asleep, even at 3 or 4 o’clock in the afternoon.  I wondered if it was because my brain was processing more information because the Veritas were revealing so much more information to me.  Anyhow, this is / was not a good thing.

So, I’m wondering if any of you have had similar experiences with “overly” detailed speakers, or speakers that are borderline too bright.  I feel like if I were demo’ing these speakers next to my Tylers, I’d pick the Veritas for sure, but I’d be wrong.  I’ve always been a fan of detailed, slightly bright, speakers, but now I wonder if I would have been better off with more musical, laid back speakers that draw me into the sound and keep my attention until late into the night.

So take note, when you are trying to make a decision on which speakers to purchase, the ones that grab your attention first may not be the best choice.  
128x128b_limo
Many speakers are voiced to impress during a quick audition, often with a "smiley" EQ.

I'm convinced there are also brands/models for which the target market is older audiophiles who may need speakers with boosted highs in order to hear a balanced response. I've noticed many speaker response graphs where the highs at ~10kHz^ are boosted as much as 6db. Some of these graphs are for popular speakers from big brands that know full well how to design speakers for flat measurements. 
@helomech  Its strange that I was so convinced that the veritas sounded better imo.  They have clear mids so I wasn’t thinking that the lows and highs were accentuated but I guess I was wrong!  

I had put the Tylers back in 2 days ago and pulled them right back out...  I just put them back in and it took 10-15 mins to acclimate to what I was perceiving as rolled off highs, and now these sound better... wtf? I’ve been listening to these for 3 hours now with zero fatigue.  
The Veritas imaged really well in that the center soundstage and separation side to side was all there but the Tylers have a deeper soundstage and are more holographic.

I wonder if my preference is for silk / fabric tweeters?  I’ve loved the seas excel, vifa radiator ring, soliloquys’(?), atc, and this morel are all great.  
I’m also wondering if these laid back sounding tweeters (they still provide great detail, just not in your face) are also more musical.  How much of the midrange is covered by the tweeter?  
Time..........
let them break in.
Energy speakers,.....give about 150-200 hours of play.

enjoy.
Speaker designs marketed for older audiophiles ? Really ? Ridiculous. Speakers need brake in time, for sure ( everything does ), and I am assuming these are used, but still might need break in time. Although very clean sounding speakers, they are a bit analytical, both bright, forward, and some have used the term " shrill ", and are not " full sounding " in the lower bass region ( a sub or two might change the balance, but not likely, the top end. Equipment, and room matching ( acoustics ), are very important ( in every case ). Listener / speaker set up is very specific for each pair of speakers, so setting them up differently than your others, might require some more tweaking. Your description of listening to them, would not put me to sleep, but rather, to run out of the room. System synergy has always been important. This extra detail, might also be showing up, some weaknesses in the recordings ( poor over dubbing, miking, compression, etc ). Not a speaker for everyone, but, what is ? Enjoy ! MrD.
Speaker designs marketed for older audiophiles ? Really ? Ridiculous.
Apparently you know little about marketing strategies. Today's marketing managers are adept at targeting specific customer types. My post was referring to speakers like Golden Ear's Triton series, which consistently measure with hot highs 
How many young people in their child-rearing years have $4K+ to spend on tower speakers? Then there's the fact that the majority of audiophiles are over 50. These are the sort of factors a marketing strategist will consider and discuss with the engineering team in any competent company.