Before the music emerges from your speakers....

I thought it might be instructive (perhaps interesting) to have an insight into one engineer's thoughts and methodology into assembling what we listen to.

This young lady details some of her thoughts before, during, and after she 'tracks' a session (or 'X' number of) with her 'rig' on site, followed by 'the real work' creating the master.

There's a lot of 'trade tricks' going on 'twixt the artist(s) and your ears.  It's good to be not only aware of this (which may already be the case for most), but to acknowledge that it's all going into the 'comp'.

It may be played analog...but it's all going direct to digital.

https://reverb.com/news/shani-gandhi-on-recording-bluegrass-and-metal?utm_source=MarketingCloud&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=20200112+Sunday+Content

Note her comments on the use of compression; done with a 'light touch' it seems a standard practice to 'sweeten'/'dial down' certain elements of a recording.

This is also one reason I have no qualms about using 'pro gear' within my equipment.  What's good for the goose...;)
128x128asvjerry
*L* djones, it seems nearly any trade has it's own lingo....

I look at the NWS pages for their weather info, maps, radar, satellite imagery because we work outdoors as much as in shop.  Reading the 'forecast discussion' is where the 'real meat' is, and it's taken me a year or so to 'follow the breadcrumbs'.

More abbreviations than you've ever seen....;)  Typ. for a gov't. agency, tho'...

Yes, a lot more going on than mousing around...if that was the case, at least there would be a reasonable rationale for lousy studio output.

If anyone likes twiddling knobs, switches, plugging and unplugging, tweaking this 'n that.....all in the pursuit of 'the Perfect Sound' (...in their case, the 'mix'...)...

Arise, off one's tush, go back to skool, get a degree, learn how to 'do' what they do....

Stop complaining...and Fix It! *L*

And then...we can blame YOU. ;)

(Yes, sometimes I fall out of bed on the 'wrong side'....actually, either one.*L*  Just....stand back....)
In some applications (machines) what used to be buttons and knobs fifteen years ago is not even a mouse now. It is touchscreen. So "mousing around" may easily be the same thing as "knobing around" done on a more up-to-date technology.

Who needs fancy fuses and expensive mousepads disguised as "tweaks" when it can be done more elegantly by clicking?
*L*  G, it's becoming a real 'touchy/feely' kinda world....which does give rise to thoughts of 'odd scenarios'...

-Exclaiming "Oh, F...!", and your digital assistant cues up some 'company' for you....!!!  (Explain THAT to your spouse...Good Luck.  What sort of flowers should I send to the funeral? *smirk*  Highly likely in NV....)
-Your self-driving car misunderstands you after a dental appointment that leaves you with a mouthfull of Novocaine.  Or anything else with voice recognition....that doesn't....
-A sneezing fit when your finger's on the touchscreen; or the one in full sunlight that you can barely read (that's not a familiar one)....
-That marvelous new remote you've finally sprung for...(you know, the one that can do EVERYTHING)...has a 'bug' that you've just discovered....and DOES...all of it....at once....all volumes to 12 on all that can...orders food you don't recognize...services you didn't even know existed.....
-The new 'aerial taxi' that decides that today is the time to engage 'Stunt Mode' when you were just trying to 'impress' by arriving 'au courant'..

*L* We've already been subjected to a certain amount of 'beta testing' in our Real World....we just weren't told about that 'program X' hadn't been around 'other programs' much....;)

Don't get me wrong...I like the future.  On the other hand, I do understand that I'll only get to be subjected to a limited amount of it, given one's 'mortal nature'....

And, I'm OK with that....one should only be expected to tolerate a certain level of 'progress'. ;)