Anyone done A / B listening to compare vintage stereo receivers with today’s Amps/Preamps?

I bought a Pioneer SX-1050 new in 1977. It was my first serious audio purchase and set me back around $3000 when adjusted for inflation to today’s dollars. IOW, quite a lot.  In 1985 I made my second major audio purchase when I bought Quad ESL-63 electrostatic speakers and a Quad Amp and Preamp. The Pioneer wound up in my closet where it has set until 2018 (34 years) when I put it to work in my second best system, the TV room. Last month I decided to have it refurbished and I have to confess it set me back way way more than I expected, but it does sound very good indeed.  

But I’m definitely wondering if I made a good investment. And how the Pioneer, specifically the SX-1050, but others of similar character,  compares to present day equivalents.  

Has anyone done any comparative listening to electronics in the $3000-$5000 range? How does the Pioneer compare?  

Answering that question would go at least some way to answering the question whether the vintage electronics are as good or better than those designed and built for today. And whether I made a good investment.

My TV System
Vizio 60” Ultra HD
Spendor FL-6 floor standing speakers
Arcam SR-250 two-channel AVR used for video only
Pioneer SX-1050 used for audio only
Video sources:
1 - Dish DVR
2 - Oppo UDP-205 DVD
3 - Roku streamer
4 - Pioneer Elite CLD-99 Laser Disc Player
128x128echolane
These older receivers incorporate so much wire, switches, and cram things up against one another. Some are beautiful to look at, and actually sound ok. But, that is all. The prices they are going for, is ridiculous, imo. YMMV......
@ndevamp,

Great informative post! 

When it comes to amplifiers I must have been lucky to have never suffered with reliability issues. Not with my NAD 3020, nor with my various Naim amps. The Naim 32.5 / 110 appeared to be more or less bomb proof.

Yet rather dusturbingly, considering all the advances in construction, I have known of at least 3 recent integrated designs which have all experienced some form of malfunction. 2 of them were due to leaking capacitors, the other was a transformer. One was a budget design, other a mid, and the last one a £2k design.

Happily in all three cases the manufacturer was good enough to arrange a repair for free or very reasonable cost. 
I agree with mrdecibel, there are generally lots of switches with the audio signal going through them in older gear. There are some issues with that.
Apart from the extra wiring needed to get the signal from the circuit board to a front-mounted switch, which can make the amplifier cramped inside, there are contact issues to talk about.
The big manufacturers generally used silver plated switch contacts which have low resistance and thus good sound quality when functioning correctly. But being silver they tarnish and lose conductivity over time. Without operating the switch occasionally to get the contacts to scrape off the tarnish, bad electrical contact develops and very high distortion or non-function can result.
Silver plated contacts are generally best used for power circuit switches as they dissipate less power at higher current, and the small arc caused by switching high current ‘wets’ the contact and keeps it functioning well, until it eventually wears out. Then you get pitted contacts that can burn, and it’s time to replace the switch.
Gold plated switches don’t tarnish and have very stable contact over time, and are more expensive due to the higher cost of gold. But they have higher contact resistance and because gold is a soft metal, using the switch a lot will wear it out faster than a silver plated contact switch. The small arc caused by switching power with a gold plated switch will burn the contact much faster, and so they are used for low current signal switches.
So there are benefits and problems with both switch types. Today’s equipment tries to sidestep that with solid state switches made up of transistors (generally mosfets) that have no tarnishing or wear from operating them. So the reliability of modern techniques is far better when it comes to switches. Unfortunately mosfets used as switches have a lot higher, and non-linear resistance than a mechanical switch and so some high end manufacturers still use mechanical switches for routing audio signals. But they need to be maintained by servicing over time.
Thus older equipment can be good but service those switches!
Poweramps usually use relays for speaker protection and they need to be maintained in good condition, as they have a critical role. They need low resistance for speaker currents, but there is no arc when it operates as the audio power is at zero when it does turn on. So especially for these relays, the contacts need to be kept in good order for low distortion. Older equipment used speaker relays by default. Newer equipment can use electronic techniques instead of relays so the reliability is greatly improved.
Transformer coupled tube amps don’t need output relays as the output transformer itself isolates the speaker from the dangerous voltages power tubes run on.
In my own preamps I’ve resorted to using mechanical gold plated switches for good SQ, but when they wear out I’ve made the layout so they can be replaced reasonably easily, and ready for the next decade of use.

To lowrider
who asked if my Pioneer was sounding any better:

Quite a bit better!  I am confident it has benefited greatly from a breaking in  period.  One of these days I will find an easy way to compare how it sounds with something else if that something else happens to come my way.   Until then I am super pleased And hopefully I will still be as pleased if I get an opportunity to do comparative listening.
responding to comments about so many switches the signal must pass through, I have to admit most of these sorts of techie comments are over my head, but I feel safe in commenting that I very much agree in principle with a “less is more” philosophy.

With all those many parts and it’s age, I fear it might be a maintenance problem though I certainly hope I am wrong about that. If I had unlimited funds I’d almost certainly not keep the Pioneer, but my investment to refurbish it was cheaper by far than I would have spent to replace it.   At the moment, I’d much rather spend money on streaming and I’m presently only a few steps away from bringing Roon to all four of my household stereo systems.