What do you think about this statement about "AUDIOPHILE"?

I came across this statement and I want to know what you all think about it. The overall statement is not including speaker selection since it is the biggest part of a system and cost/personal choice is much too wide ranged and variable.

"The truth is that, with the possible exceptions of speakers, decent modern entry level products in the mid-level range give you about 80% of what’s currently possible (in obtaining your audiophile system). Audiophilia is not therefore about spending large amounts of money to effect step change and realize "night and day" improvement, but rather a gradual process of diminishing returns to attain some of the remaining 20% in small increments according to personal appetite and budget."

I find this statement realistic and could very well change the idea I have about starting my own "audiophile" system.
128x128imabucfan
Yeah, I have to agree with the statement but that doesn't mean you are a fool for continuing the pursuit.  Every small increase in fidelity brings me pleasure.  Let your wallet and your conscience be your guide.
I think it might usually be a little dangerous to try define the boundaries of this hobby.

Whatever rule you think you might be inclined to come up with that seems to fit, then along comes the exception that disproves it. I’d say there are, in the end, maybe more exceptions to the hobby than clear rules.

Maybe more than anything else then, this hobby is really all about the exceptions.