Before the music emerges from your speakers....

I thought it might be instructive (perhaps interesting) to have an insight into one engineer's thoughts and methodology into assembling what we listen to.

This young lady details some of her thoughts before, during, and after she 'tracks' a session (or 'X' number of) with her 'rig' on site, followed by 'the real work' creating the master.

There's a lot of 'trade tricks' going on 'twixt the artist(s) and your ears.  It's good to be not only aware of this (which may already be the case for most), but to acknowledge that it's all going into the 'comp'.

It may be played analog...but it's all going direct to digital.

https://reverb.com/news/shani-gandhi-on-recording-bluegrass-and-metal?utm_source=MarketingCloud&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=20200112+Sunday+Content

Note her comments on the use of compression; done with a 'light touch' it seems a standard practice to 'sweeten'/'dial down' certain elements of a recording.

This is also one reason I have no qualms about using 'pro gear' within my equipment.  What's good for the goose...;)
128x128asvjerry
"When we had finished a song, we'd take a drive and listen to it on the car stereo to give us that extra objectivity. When you are working so intensely you can lose that objectivity. And when you're in a studio you're listening to the absolute best reproduction of the sound. But most people won't hear it in that environment. So we'd go for a drive – the car test."
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/leonard-cohen-out-of-the-monastery-a...
@glupson...and now, the 'ear buds' are likely part of the testing. 

Welcome to the New World.  The 'natives' may not have 'rituals' you like...;)

@delkal...*S*  It's like soup....Too much salt (or any other seasoning) screws it up..unless it's what may be called for, under the circumstance or an intentional 'tweak'.

We're not 'there' to make the call...we just get to love/hate the result. ;)
@sonicjoy..."In a Perfect World"....Absolutely; that would be the answer for 'our market'....

As you point out, not very likely....unless one knows 'someone' close to the 'process' and they gift you with a copy.  Which would likely be a digital file...and would disown you if it left your possession...

@onhwy61 ...That's what got my attention as well....the selection of the instrument(s) to apply to a given 'source'.  The comment about mic placement about an instrument's amp was revealing....a subtle 'trick' that I wasn't aware of, but it makes sense.....

"Live" doesn't mean some 'applied skill', meant to enhance, or compensate, hasn't been introduced.  I've always been fascinated by knowing what's 'upstream' of what I enjoy. *S*

BTW, you're welcome. ;)  
The recording of Ms Jarosz' "House of Mercy" is a treat for me.  Spare, simple, and capture of acoustic guitars in a way that reminds me of sitting next to one being played in a quiet room...

Having been in that situation, it invokes memories of days gone by....*S*
Thanks for posting this . This type of info can shed some unexpected light on audio in general .Keep them coming