SME 3009 II Unimporved -- "Thin" Sound

I would much appreciate any guidance/comments:  I am getting back into analogue after 20 years away, and had a opportunity to have a Thorens 124 and SME 3009 II Unimproved completely restored -- then set up by a knowledgeable technician.  My tech also recommended a Hana EH, which now has about 30 hours' time logged. Have tried BOTH the MM input on my Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, and the Schitt Mani into the AUX input of the Audible Illusions. Also purchased several current audiophile LP's of various genres -- for "trial" purposes.

To my ear, the result is "OK," but a bit lifeless.

Without drilling down too deeply into the physics and arm adjustments -- which I am 95% certain are correct -- can anyone enlighten me as to how I can improve. I suspect the hardware and mechanics -- given their age -- are capable of much better performance, but ... (after being accustomed to good quality digital reproduction) I am beginning to wonder if my expectations are too high!

THANKS, all!

wdesbrow
For an SUT I can recommend a Bellari. I have one in my collection - $500 and USA-made. I always prefer a SUT over any tube or transistor high-gain phono stage for mc cartridges! Superior dynamics and far lower noise floor.

Avoid high-output mc cartridges. None of them sound as good as low-output mc's!
The Hana SL has a Shibata-profile stylus - again a superior shape capable of better detail retrieval than an elliptical stylus.
Most likely it is a cartridge and your phonostage weakness. 

But it is also depends on records you're listening to, you don't need audiophile pressing (re-issues), just a proper original pressing. Some records are better than others, but re-issues most likely inferior to the originals. I hope you have some great recordings to start with. 

For extended frequency response you need a cartridge with the best possible stylus profile (not conical, not the elliptical), something like MicroRidge, MicroLine, VdH, Gyger or at least Shibata, LineContact. 

P.S. You can always try a decent MM ot MI cartridge and maybe it will be better. 

wdesbrow, I tend to agree with roberjerman on this one. I have not heard a high output MC cartridge that I have liked. The Ortofon 2M series of MM cartridges is better particularly the Black.
Having said all that the coils of high output MC cartridges are larger and heavier. I can not find a compliance spec for that cartridge but I suspect it is too stiff for your arm which would effect bass performance quite a bit.
If you want to be accurate about it get a test record with vertical and lateral resonance tracks and check where you are. You could also empirically add mass to the head shell to see if it sounds better.

Mike