What makes a good equipment rack?

I've outgrown where all my components live and planning on building a solution myself.

I get the need for air flow around components. No turntable in my future which I'm sure have special needs.

What should I be concerned about or need to address beyond just making a solid peice of furniture and cabling accessible?
128x128doitwithlife
If I were starting over, and had unlimited funds, I'd get Sound Anchor stands for everything. I have their ET LFT-8b speaker stands, and love 'em. Cut some Baltic Birch plywood into shelf-size pieces, finish them with satin polyurethane (it brings out the contrast between ply layers), and use whatever isolation devices you prefer.
When I was using my Sound Anchor equipment stand, I made a quartersawn oak top shelf that really warmed up the industrial appearance.  I also made thick quartersawn oak platforms that I use on the tops of my Sound Anchor amplifier stands.  I use thin sheets of Isodamp elastomer material between the wood platforms and the tops of the amplifier stands.  The stands themselves are spiked to the concrete floor.  You can see the various stands in my system pictures.
Good info here.

Around here lots of folks milling timber. I've been considering starting with a 2-3 " thick live edge cedar plank. I was looking at some good looking 14" wide pieces that I thought would look good for the base and top shelf.

This would allow me to put the regenerator in the center of the bottom shelf flanked by the mono-blocks. I have some 3/4" rubber floor mat that I could use between the bottom plank and the floor. 

A couple of 1" thick 4/4 finished cedar boards for the middle shelves. Maybe embed a bit of angle iron to the shelves to deter sag and provide vertical support for the loads. It wouldn't be adjustable but solid and I don't anticipate changing equipment this decade. 

I'm thinking it would be rather solid and lots of mass. The stall mat towards the floor would give some isolation. 

Would I be missing anything? Always leaves that door open for mats and such as some are suggesting